FastFacts Feature Presentation
FastFacts Feature Presentation
May 26, 2010
We are using audio during this session, so please
dial in to our conference line…
Phone number: 877-468-2134
Participant code: 182500
© 2010 The Johns Hopkins University. All rights reserved.
• We’ll be taking a look at the Faculty and Staff
Assistance Program (FASAP).
• Deborah Hillard, Psy.D., Director of the Faculty and Staff
– Deborah will provide an overview of the services provided by the
Faculty and Staff Assistance Program.
– During the presentation, your phone will be muted.
– After the presentation, we’ll hold a Q&A session.
– We’ll open up the phone lines, and you’ll be able to ask
– Deborah will answer as many of your questions as time allows.
• If you would like to submit a question during the
presentation or if you’re having technical difficulties, you
can email us at: [email protected]
• You can also send us an instant message!
– GoogleTalk – [email protected]
– AOL Instant Messenger – HopkinsFastFacts
– MSN – [email protected]
– At the end of this FastFacts session, we’ll ask you to complete a
– Your honest comments will help us to enhance and improve
future FastFacts sessions.
Facts of Life!
• At one point or another, every person experiences stress
– Many people have some type of
personal challenge or stress.
– Problems often follow people to work.
– People often hesitate to ask for help.
Personal, Professional, Productive
Manage competing demands
Develop coping strategies
Reduce wasted time and frustration
Improve health and wellness
Manage effective relationships
• Confidential, Personal, Professional, Free
• For faculty, staff & family
• Toll-free access 24/7
• Professional clinicians
• Comprehensive clinical
• Short-term counseling
• Referrals when needed
Health plan or
Challenges of Daily Living
Anxiety or depression
Alcohol and drug abuse,
and co-dependency issues
• Mental health
• Consultation to
managers with troubled
• Difficulty with co-worker
• Flexible work schedule
What You Can Expect
• No cost associated with services
• Highly qualified professionals
– Masters level or above
– In accordance with State and Federal guidelines
• Clinical assessment
– Clarify the problem; identify options; develop a plan
• Support for challenges or problems of daily living
– Short-term counseling; coping strategies
Financial Assistance Program (FAP)
• Emergency hardship loans up from $300 to $750
• Repaid via payroll deductions to the Johns
Hopkins Federal Credit Union
• Must access through FASAP and meet certain
– Clinical Assessment
– Employee in good standing
– Agrees to repay the loan
Workplace Violence/Risk Assessment
• A multidisciplinary group made up of representatives from
Human Resources and/or the Deans’ Offices, General
Counsel, Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, and
• Assists leadership in determining if someone is:
– “At risk" for violating workplace violence policies
– Becoming violent
– Behaving in ways that interfere with a safe, healthy, and secure
• Safe at Hopkins
Crisis Response Services
• Consultation to managers and supervisors whose staff are coping
with crisis events; briefings about managing crises, workplace
violence, troubled employees, and anger management.
• Individual assessment and referral.
• Group interventions; encourage individual FASAP follow-up as
needed to all participants.
• Debriefing/Defusing: Talking to people about their experience or
allowing them to talk about it. The goal is to reduce the likelihood
of PTSD or other psychological problems. Intervention is tailored to
• Collaborative group interventions (clergy, others trained in crisis
Professional Assistance Committees
• Works with FASAP to facilitate the well-being and rehabilitation of
distressed or impaired physicians and nurses as an alternative to
discipline or dismissal.
• Encourages self-referrals from the Johns Hopkins physician and
nursing communities, and act as an advocate for those who follow
its policies and recommendations.
a RESOURCE for
Please let us know you are calling to access the PAC and you will be
connected to the appropriate person.
E-mail replies sent during normal business hours.
Consultation: The Challenge for Leadership,
Management, and Administrators
Healthy, Productive People
J H @ E a s t e r n : 11 0 1 E . 3 3 r d S t . , S u i t e C 1 0 0
5 5 0 N o r t h B r o a d w a y, S u i t e s 5 0 7 a n d 4 0 3
Appointments can also be scheduled in the
Washington D.C., metropolitan area .
• We’re going to open the phone lines now!
• There will be a slight pause, and then a recorded voice will provide
instructions on how to ask questions over this conference call line.
• We’ll be answering questions in the order that we receive them.
• We’ll also be answering the questions that were emailed to us
during the presentation.
• If there’s a question that we can’t answer, we’ll do some research
after this session, and then email the answer to all participants.
• Thank you for participating!
• We would love to hear from you.
– Are there certain topics that you would like us to
cover in future FastFacts sessions?
– Would you like to be a FastFacts presenter?
– Please email us at: [email protected]
• Before we close, please take the time to complete a
• Your feedback will help us as we plan future
• Click this link to access the survey…