Transcript Chapter 14 Section 4 Yuan and Ming Dynasties
TAKE OUT YOUR HOMEWORK
Imagine if you were there… You are a farmer in northern China in 1212 AD. As you pull weeds from a wheat field, you hear a sound like thunder. Looking toward the sound, you see hundreds- no THOUSANDS of armed horsemen on the horizon, riding straight toward you. You are frozen with fear. Only one thought fills your mind- the dreaded Mongols are coming.
What can you do to save your life?
The Yuan & Ming Dynasties
Chapter 14 Section 4 • Big Idea: The Chinese ruled by foreigners during the Yuan dynasty, but they threw off Mongol rule & prospered during the Ming dynasty.
– Born in 1162 AD, founder of largest connecting empire in history – – – – 1206AD- united the Mongol clans Raided & Pillaged throughout Asia & Eastern Europe Then in 1211 AD he led his cavalry army into China Died in 1227 AD sons & grandsons continued destruction
Life in Yuan China
• • • •
1260 Kublai Khan-
(grandson to Genghis) 1279 declared- Emperor of China, thus begun – Yuan Dynasty – Implemented Postal service – Time when Marco Polo visited China Chinese
Mongols, saw them as
Mongols were not
with China, set out for Japan – Turned back twice by
– Dynasty broke & ripe for rebellion, 1368 rebel army won (Ming)
With a partner please answer the following questions below using pages 427-429
• How long did the Ming dynasty rule for?
• Who was Zheng He?
• What was the Forbidden City?
• How did isolationism affect China?
The Ming Dynasty
• • •
with a partner answer these three questions
Who was Genghis Khan?
What happened during the Yuan Dynasty?
What was the Forbidden City of the Ming Dynasty?
• Be ready for Jeopardy tomorrow • Test will be Thursday