Ancient China Unit 2 Mr. Hardy RMS IB Middle School
Transcript Ancient China Unit 2 Mr. Hardy RMS IB Middle School
RMS IB Middle School
Huang He- Yellow
Chang Jiang- Yangtze
Very fertile area
Range- isolated the
people of China
Ruled by Wealthy
Believed in ancestor worship, life after death,
and Oracle Bones that could predict the future
Filial piety- your duty is to your family
Created Pictographs (Writing system)
Mandate of Heaven- belief that
Heaven kept order (Like Golden Age
Rise Peak Fall
Qin Shi Huangdi- first emperor, 13 yrs old
Autocracy- emperor has unlimited power
People disliked Qin’s rule
Very cruel and harsh- had hundreds of
Slaves built a system of roads
throughout the empire, as well as forts
Emperor Qin's Accomplishments
The Emperor's Army
Great Wall of
Army made of terra
Recreation of Qin’s
More than 6,000 men,
“Golden Dynasty of China”
Emperor considered a divine
authority – link between heaven
Highly Structured Government
-18 levels of government officials
Civil Service Exam
Schools to educate those who
wished to work for the govt.
Over 150 years of peace and
wealth – Very popular with
The Government System
established by the Han, lasted
• Not a religion, - more
like a philosophy, or
way of life.
• Based on the
writings of a great
teacher knows as
Confucius - K'ung-futzu, "Master Kung”
551BC – 479BC
• Li (social propriety) is the
greatest principle of
living. When society lives
by li it moves smoothly.
• The Middle Way –
(moderation in all things)
Everything has its beauty, but not
everyone sees it.
It does not matter how slowly you go,
so long as you do not stop.
Men’s natures are alike, it is their
habits that carry them far apart.
Our greatest glory is not in failing, but
in getting up every time we do.
Study the past, if you would define the
To be able under all circumstances to
practice five things constitutes perfect
virtue; these five things are gravity,
generosity of soul, sincerity,
earnestness, and kindness.
Forget injuries, never forget kindness.
I hear and I forget. I see and I
remember. I do and I understand.
Han Dynasty Inventions
Paper about 105A.D., • Horse collar –
allowed horses to
pull a much larger
• Perfected iron
boats to sail into the
tools and plows
(Do you see any
Fall of the Han
• Huge Taxes to run
• Gap between rich and
• Poor lost farms and
• Could not pay taxes
• Less taxes weakened
• (Where have we seen this
• Created programs to help the poor
• Created gunpowder- Fireworks!
• Brought back the Civil service exam
–Open to all men, but only the rich
could afford the education
–Must be knowledgeable in
– Only 1 in 5 passed
Prosperous and innovative
Trade and Foreign Contact
Great naval force
Advanced farming techniques- Rice!
Creation of block printing
Use of algebra
Use paper money
Role of Women of the Song
Practiced foot binding- meant
to reflect wealth and prestige,
crippled for life
Servants to men
• Nomadic people
• Horseback- primary
form of travel
Genghis Khan- elected
ruler of Mongols, 1206
Created largest empire
Used terror to conquer
Kublai Khan – Yuan
• Kublai Khan – grandson of Genghis
• Becomes Mongol emperor in 1260
• Conquers all of China in 1279,
uniting China for the first time in
• Yuan Dynasty only lasts until 1368,
but is very important.
• Kublai Khan very good ruler for China
• Kublai Khan moved capital from
Mongolia to modern day Beijing, China
• Mongols kept separate identity from the
Chinese – lived apart and had different
laws. Tolerated Chinese culture and made
few changes to government system
Yuan Dynasty & Trade
• Open up China to more trade and Western
• Marco Polo – Young Venetian who lived in
Khan’s court for 17 years. His travel journal
(1271-1295) became hugely popular book.
• First time most Europeans had been exposed to
Chinese culture, like silk, gunpowder, playing
cards, porcelain, printing, the magnetic compass,
and paper money.
• Death of Kublai Khan and high taxes doomed
the Yuan dynasty.
Kublai Khan and Marco Polo
This Will Be Started In Class at the Conclusion of the Notes
• Required materials- 1 sheet of copy paper, markers/ colored
pencils, black ink pen
• Fold the paper into 4 boxes.
– Option A- Create an image in each box that represents each of
the dynasties/topics discussed during today’s class.
– Option B- Create a 1 paragraph summery of each
dynasty/topic in it’s assigned box. Your paragraph must be
detailed and include a minimum of 5 sentences.
– *Choose 1 of the following topics to create your MiniMasterpieces on:
• - Ancient Dynasties- Shang, Zhou, Qin, and Han
• - Medieval Dynasties- Tang, Song, Mongols, and Yuan
• - Philosophy- Confucianism, Mandate of Heaven, and two dynasties
of your choice
• Your boxes must be colored or written in black ink and
include a frame and the name of the dynasty/topic.
• See Mr. Hardy for an example!