Transcript Housing and Residential Communities The
Freshman Residency Program
• • • • •
Provide best start for first year students at UA Encourage students to engage in campus life Improve persistence, retention, and graduation Provide trained staff as resources and support Encourage responsibility for daily life and choices Deadline to request exemption from FRP is July 15,2013.
Residence Hall Resources Multiple levels of staff provide support and resources for residents
• • • • Professional HRC staff (notably Area Coordinators) Live-in Graduate Community Directors (GCDs) Resident Advisors (RAs) Freshman Advisors (FAs) Our staff are great, but . . . they’re not mind readers.
When residents have a concern, they need to share it, so we can help.
Residence Hall and Campus Resources
Students submit online work order •
Roommate agreements; roommate mediation; room changes available •
Need to get engaged?
Freshman Advisors encourage knowledge of campus activities •
Want to receive or send a package?
Students can rent a mailbox in the Ferguson Mail Center to receive mail and packages through UPS/FedEx • •
Just kidding! Students are responsible for when they come and go
• Assignments made in application date order and students notified by crimson e-mail.
• Final assignment sent by mail in July. • Staff consider assignment. changes requested on online form, as space permits. No changes can be accommodated after July 1.
• • • • Model rooms in Ridgecrest South and Burke East Burke East resembles traditional style; Ridgecrest South resembles suite style Other residence halls unavailable during summer due to camps; floor plans and photos on UA web site Please respect the privacy of summer residents by not visiting other residence halls.
Residence Hall Room Features
• Twin beds (full size bed in Bryant Hall); mattress lengths vary-see HRC web site for specific information • Microfridge or full-size refrigerator • Microwave (except in Highlands and Bryce Lawn) • Cable TV-at least 6’ coax cable needed • High speed wireless internet; ethernet cables are helpful For specific information about each residence hall, including mattress lengths, please visit the HRC web site.
Students select their move-in day and time in June through HRC web site. • • Freshman Move in Schedule: Approved Early Arrivals: 8 a.m.-5 p.m
August 8 and 9* Freshmen: 1-5 p.m. August 16 8-5 August 17 and 18 * Approved early arrival activities include band, sorority recruitment, Alabama Action and Outdoor Action
The right way to move to UA • • • • • • • Plan realistically for the space.
Communicate with roommate(s) ahead of time. Bring items the student needs. Other items can be purchased later.
Pack everything in boxes and label them with student’s name and room number.
No moving vans! If you need a U-haul, your student is bringing too much.
Follow traffic and parking instructions.
Arrive at scheduled move-in time, not before.
THE WRONG WAY TO MOVE IN • • • Avoid: loose items unsecured boxes No moving vans!
Beyond Freshman Year
• • • On-campus housing is guaranteed for incoming freshmen and students with housing scholarships that can only be used on campus.
Off-campus Resources provides guidance in transitioning to off campus housing.
Information about recontracting process begins in early fall.
Housing Contact Information
Housing and Residential Communities
• • • • Phone: (205) 348-6676 or (888) 498-2262
http://housing.ua.edu/ Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm (CST) Saturday: 9am - 12pm (CST)