Transcript Priorities 2011-12
The Emerging Role of the Human
September 21-23, 2011
National Joint Council Seminar 2011
– Present the evolution of people management in government.
– Present the Human Resources Council (HRC) by defining it’s
role, it’s mandate, it’s membership and it’s priorities.
People Management in government
Today’s people management context
HRC’s 2011-12 priorities
Proposal for NJC
B. People management in government
Good People Management is :
At the heart of our ability to deliver on the Government’s Management Agenda.
An integral part of ensuring that the public service remains a vital institution, crucial
to the success of Canada in a increasingly complex world.
What has changed with the change in governance in people management:
Deputy Heads have the primary responsibility for human resources management.
– The have the flexibility to respond to their specific business needs
– They are required to work collaboratively to ensure that there is coherence to
people management across the public service.
The role of Central Agency is being focused:
– The Centre will focus on frameworks policy that incorporate risk management
approaches, rather than details prescriptions.
C. Today’s People Management Context
Strategic & Operating
D. HRC’s mandate
• It’s composition:
– It is a organisation made up 93 Federal PS Heads of Human
Resources from core public administration as well as separate
agencies and crown corporations.
• It’s mandate is to support:
– Deputy Heads in effectively executing all aspects of people
management in a manner that responds to their unique
organizational needs and is coherent across the public service.
– The Chief Human Resources Officer by providing information,
advice and support on strategic issues related to people
– Innovation in the delivery of and support to people management
in the public service.
E. HRC’s 2011-12 priorities
Workforce Management (providing information and tools to managers)
Community Development (improving the information and advice provided to
managers by HR)
Gather and communicate tools on workforce management and HR planning
and training material
Inventory of training/learning available on managing in times of fiscal restraint
Work with PSC to improve effectiveness of Priority Administration System
Work with OCHRO to improve access to workforce information
Gather and share information and tools using Web 2.0 tools
Establish and ensure implementation of PE Generics
Develop a framework for PE Development Program
Establish framework to assist departments set service standards for the HR function
Modernisation and Renewal (finding ways to increase effectiveness and efficiency
of advice and service to managers and employees)
Develop and share Classification tools, i.e Orientation tool kit, Fast Track Classification
Support Pay Consolidation
Reduce reporting burden
Introduce Employee Talent Management System
E. HRC’s 2011-12 priorities (cont‘d)
• Focus is on:
– Aligning our work to broader people management
strategies and priorities
– Integrating the work underway in central agencies,
HR Communities of Practice and HRC
– Engaging managers through National Managers
Community to ensure right focus and increase
– Evolution not a revolution
F. Proposal for NJC
“Given the shift in governance for people
management in the public service and the
changing nature of relationships:
What real and practical opportunities for
collaboration should be explored between
HRC and NJC?”