Pennsylvania Value Added Assessment System (PVAAS) Update
Transcript Pennsylvania Value Added Assessment System (PVAAS) Update
Kristen Lewald, PVAAS Statewide Team for PDE
Follow-up to Fall 2014 Sessions
Spring 2015 Roster Verification
Info to IU PVAAS Contact(s)
Follow-up Sessions – Email to LEA Admin Contact
In October, members from your administrative team attended a PVAAS training at your local
Intermediate Unit that was designed to support your teachers as they received their first
PVAAS teacher specific reports. At the training, we offered to provide a virtual follow up
session for your district team (one follow up session per LEA/District). Your name was given
as the district administrator whom we should contact to see how things are going.
How are administrators doing with:
• Training staff or pointing staff to training materials to help them understand their PVAAS
teacher specific reports?
• Having conversations with teachers about using the data to reflect on their professional
• Answering questions from teachers or other staff?
Do you need follow up support? You can email us questions at [email protected] Or, we
can arrange a one hour conference call or webinar with members of your administrative team
(one follow up session per LEA/District). If you’d like to arrange a conference call or webinar,
please indicate whether the AM or PM would work best for your team. We will send you some
potential dates and times that would work for a meeting.
441 LEAs contacted
◦ 45– responded so far
23 – do not need any additional support
10 – checking in with admin team to see if needed
12 – want to schedule a follow-up support via a
conference call; have some questions
If scheduled Jen Ross and Joan Perekupka will
contact the IU PVAAS Contact to see if s/he wants
to join the call
One sent to all teachers with teacher reporting
◦ Approx. 31,000
◦ Sent last week
◦ Copy of message to teachers sent to District Admin and School Admin
account holders for advance preview
One sent to all District Admin, District Users, School Admins
and School Users with access to PVAAS Teacher Reporting
Summary Report will be provided at next PAIU CC Meeting
Feedback Survey to Focus Group Participants
To: PEERS Focus Group participants
Thank you for your participation in the recent PEERS Focus Group webinars! The next step is
to ask for your participation in this online survey. This is intended to gather feedback from
you to be used in the ongoing development process of PEERS. This survey includes nine
questions about PEERS to allow for quick feedback to SAS EVAAS and PDE from you as an
Please complete the online survey by Friday, January 16, 2015. Your responses will be
compiled and used by SAS EVAAS and PDE for development and implementation of PEERS. It
is recommended that one survey per district/LEA be completed, with collaboration at the
local level as needed.
The online survey can be accessed through this link: http://survey.sas.com/survey2599.php
Thank you again for your participation and feedback.
Based on Survey Feedback from LEAs
Copy Rosters for a Teacher:
◦ Able to copy over a teacher’s entire roster to another subject area
Update All Percentages:
◦ Able to update all percentages in a data column at once for a better starting
◦ % student teacher enrollment
◦ % full/partial instruction
◦ Overclaiming and Underclaiming for a student is available in one report
showing how the student in claimed in all subjects and grades
NEW collection for the pre-population of PVAAS rosters:
◦ PIMS Staff - Student – Subtest Collection
NOT using PIMS Course/HQT for PVAAS RV pre-population
LEAs determine alignment of local courses to State assessments
as this is handled uniquely across LEAs
Student Staff Subtest collection is open now!
◦ Submission deadline: March 25, 2015 at 11:59 pm. Be sure to submit before the
◦ Run Cognos Reports!!!
◦ PVAAS RV will mirror Staff -Student-Subtest Collection
Jan 21 DQN Meeting:
◦ Brian Truesdale and Kristen Lewald will discuss this collection
◦ PIMS Admin and Admin Responsible for Program Side of RV
LEA Preview Phase, by School
April 27- May 3, 2015 (1 week)
Teacher Verification Phase
May 4-17, 2015 (2 weeks)
School Administrator Verification Phase
May 18-31, 2015 (2 weeks)
LEA Verification Phase
June 1-14, 2015 (2 weeks)
Part 1 of the updated VLM has been available
since November 2014
Part 2 of the updated VLM will be released by
the end of February 2015!
◦ Email will be sent statewide to notify LEAs
Sections in Part 1
Welcome (including sections by role)
What is Roster Verification?
Roster Verification overview
Sections in Part 2
School Administrator actions
LEA/District Admin actions
PVAAS Account Management: Preparing for Roster Verification
◦ Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 3:00-4:00 pm
◦ Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 9:00-10:00 am
◦ Thursday, January 29, 2015, 3:00-4:00 pm
PVAAS Roster Verification Training
Thursday, February 5, 2015, 12:30-3:30 pm
Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 8:30-11:30 am
Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 12:30-3:30 pm
Monday, February 23, 2015, 8:30-11:30 am
Sessions will be archived/recorded!
Find more information on the sessions and how to join in the PVAAS Professional
Development Opportunities Booklet or the Roster Verification Training & Resources
document, both available on on the PVAAS login page!
No formal presentation will be shared; simply
time set aside for questions
Tuesday Afternoons, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
April 28 through June 9, 2015
Thursday Mornings, 7:30-9:00 a.m.
April 30 through June 11, 2015
Go to http://www.joinwebinar.com and
enter webinar ID 483-783-506 to join!
Go to http://www.joinwebinar.com and
enter webinar ID 340-846-666 to join!
Information on how to join is included in the PVAAS Professional Development
Opportunities Booklet or the Roster Verification Training & Resources
document, both available on the PVAAS login page!
Guide to Implementation: RV & Account
RV Quick Start Guide
Sample Scenarios document
RV Checklist – All Roles
Available on the PVAAS Login page!
Manage Your Data
Make Use of All Resources Available
Be Proactive: Use the Time Wisely
Collaborate with Other Administrators
Work Closely with Your Teachers
◦ Track information throughout the year; Make sure information in SIS is accurate; Work closely with
your PIMS Administrator; Create a tracking system for enrollment and withdrawal dates
◦ Use all resources and supports; Attend/participate in trainings; View RV Virtual Learning Module
◦ Solve as many issues as possible during Preview phase; Designate a Roster Verifier to assist you;
Start early in the process and set aside uninterrupted time; Keep detailed notes of why changes
were made on rosters
◦ Have a District Admin who is “go to” person; Work with District Admins, Principals, and PIMS
Administrator to ensure consistency across schools
◦ Train all teachers in the process early on; Allow sufficient time for teachers to meet and
collaborate together; Meet with teachers as grade-level or department-level teams to do
verification together; Meet with teachers individually for questions; Keep teachers informed of the
“Be patient, take your time, and pace yourself throughout the process!”
Prepare Your Data
Prepare Your Staff
Use the Resources
◦ Ensure SIS is accurately capturing all data needed; Make sure data is complete and
accurate in PIMS; Prepare ahead of time and do as much work as possible in Preview
phase; Start early in each verification phase
◦ Provide professional development to all staff involved in RV; Attend trainings held by
PVAAS Statewide Team for PDE
◦ Meet as District Admin team first then with each School Admin individually; Work
through details and determinations as team to provide consistency across district;
Provide work sessions for School Admins to work together; Make time to meet with
teachers and School Admins during their respective RV phases
◦ Make full use of resources and trainings; View the RV Virtual Learning Module; Use “SAS
EVAAS” help desk via PVAAS website; Follow checklists provided by PVAAS Statewide
Team for PDE
“There are 4 keys to this process: Communication, Collaboration, Coordination,
Excel file will be sent to IU PVAAS Contacts by end of January
Information about your region’s LEAs roster verification
transactions during SY2013-14
Macro view of use of RV System by LEA
Review for areas where your LEAs may benefit from additional
support & conversations
◦ Winter, Spring, Summer Rosters for Keystones
◦ Help educate your LEAs: Be sure to choose the correct
Keystone exam administration window on rosters so that the
students claimed have testing data in the indicated test
Take a look to see if anything stands out:
◦ CTCs that provide academics?
◦ Do Charter Schools know this option—for RV/teacher specific
reporting/that it is available to them as an option?
◦ Is there a reason to have any ocal conversations with your LEAs?
How well did your LEAs’ PIMS submission/SIS support roster
Any IU PVAAS Contacts who aren’t at PAIU CC?
Watch archived PAIU webinar for this portion.
Copy of PPT