Transcript Organizing the Student Work Display
CIDA ACCREDITATION WORKSHOP
| IDEC 2014 ANNUAL CONFERENCE New Orleans, GA 03.06.14
Senior University Lecturer Interior Design Program Coordinator School of Art + Design
– Second Year Design Studio 1985
The Kepler System at NJIT – A Share Point Application A Classroom/Department Management and Evaluation Resource
Click on either
to access a course gallery with a chronological list of required courses.
Visiting Team Project Room
• Students can refer to past projects as part of permanent display and effort to improve overall quality • Faculty can be evaluated and student learning outcomes can be part of teaching quality assessment • Coordinators can monitor work by other sections • Central repository for all course assignments and supporting documentation • Built-in archive system for accreditation
CIDA Response to
• Allowed Visiting Team to see more work than is generally available • Liked ability to access off-site both during and after the visit (e.g., hotel room in the evenings and during the 3-4 weeks while writing the follow-up report) • Navigation was sometimes a bit cumbersome (they weren’t aware of the slideshow feature) • Search function could use more refinement (e.g., looking specifically for furniture specs; would get images from History of Furniture class) • They did recognize the limitations as a package system that was currently being refined
• Adding ‘Tags’ to refine search function. Not just by Standard but specific qualitative identifiers; e.g., furniture specifications, color theory, etc.. This will help CIDA more quickly find what they are looking for.
• Search function is linked to CIDA Matrix. (already developed for NAAB accreditation
Challenges for Implementation
• ALL work MUST be available in digital format in order for the system to be effective. The digital culture must be ubiquitous and technology must be embraced by students and faculty alike.
• There MUST be institutional ‘buy-in’ to its value. The entire faculty must be on board.
• Need strong IT support and sufficient resources. Department or school leader must be comfortable with digital milieu