Transcript EUCAR Project Book 2013 - Poster CONVENIENT (CRF)
Complete Vehicle Energy-saving Technologies for Heavy-Trucks Motivation and Objectives
Fuel efficiency is a first priority for Customers of long-haul trucks, because of its major impact (about 30%) on the Total Operating Costs. The efficiency of heavy-duty vehicles can be improved in a relevant way by operating on both the tractor and the semi-trailer. The main objective of CONVENIENT project is the development of a novel long-distance heavy-truck archetype featuring a suite of technologies enabling a 30% fuel saving.
The project includes the development and integration of: - innovative energy efficient systems and energy harvesting devices - advanced active and passive aerodynamics devices - energy management at vehicle level - driver support to maximize the benefits of the energy-saving systems and strategies
Project Plan, Milestones and Deliverables
The figure summarises the project organization and the main Deliverables, i.e. the 3 demo trucks
• The CONVENIENT project aims to develop a novel long-distance heavy-truck prototype featuring a suite of technologies enabling a relevant reduction of fuel consumption. • It is planned to adopt an holistic approach to on-board energy management, aimed to consider the tractor, the semi-trailer, the driver behavior and the mission as a whole problem.
• The project includes the development and integration of innovative energy efficient systems and energy harvesting devices, advanced active and passive aerodynamics devices on the truck amd on the semitrailer; energy management system at vehicle level; driver support system to maximize the benefits of energy saving devices
It is envisioned to achieve 30% fuel-saving improvement on the final heavy-truck demonstrator vehicle.
• The electrification of the auxiliaries will contribute with an estimated 3÷4% fuel economy improvement.
• The hybrid powertrain will contribute with an estimated 5÷7% fuel-saving in long-haulage mission. • Additional 3% fuel-saving is attributed to friction reduction, which includes axles and tires.
• It is expected up to 5% improvement in highway mission thanks to active and passive aerodynamics • A novel Dual-Level Cooling system associated with Flat Heat Exchangers (FHX) could improve the efficiency of thermal system up to 2% improvement.
• The PV solar panels on cab-roof and on the semitrailer roof, will harvest energy for charging the high voltage battery, thus enabling the use of Electric Climatisation and other in-cab electric devices. • Predictive Driver Support system will support the driver by suggesting the proper driving-style and speed profile, leveraging on e-horizon information; its estimated fuel-saving is about 5÷8%.
Budget Duration DG / Unit Coordinator Main Partners: Website: 16.6 M € 36 months F unding Start 10 M € November 2012 GC.SST.2012.2-2 Mauro Montiglio, CRF Contract n° Contact 312314 [email protected]
21 partners, among them IVECO, VOLVO, DAF, ZF, Continental, Magna ECS www.convenient-project.eu