1- How does the Lewis and Clarke expedition
affect the expansion of the United States
population in the 1800’s?
2- What was the impact on the Native American
communities of the west?
CCSS.ELA W.5.1, W.5.3 and RL.5.6
NYS SS Framework 5.6.a
NYS Common Core Standards
• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.3 Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique,
descriptive details, and clear event sequences
• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.6 Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view influences how
• CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with events are described
reasons and information.
NYS SS Framework:
5.6 The forces of expansion and migration have affected nations and cultures throughout the Western Hemisphere, resulting
in population shifts, development of urban centers,
displacement of native cultures, and imperial conflicts.
(a) Geographic characteristics found in particular regions have served to aid expansion and
the connection with other societies.
Explore what…? Why?
Who led the exploration and why?
Using Images to
Worksheet & Differentiation Option
Directions: Look carefully at the painting you have been assigned (at least one full minute). Then,
consider and describe the scene using the category below.
● Look at the arrangement of the figures in the artwork.
● Turn and talk to a partner using the following questions:
● What might their poses tell you about the story?
● What might their poses tell you about their relationship to each other?
What words were used in your group to describe the place,
person, interactions in the paintings.
Pretend you are one of the
explorers hired by Thomas
Jefferson to travel west.
Please write a letter or
journal entry about what you
have seen in your journey to
* Would you invite others or
Making Aged Paper
'Grand Central Terminal' - Patrons bustle at the "Grand Central Terminal: An Early December Noon in the
Main Concourse" in this photo-realistic oil on linen painting by Stone Roberts. Museum of the City of New
Encounter with the Teton Sioux, September 25, 1804, (painted 2010) depicts the tension-filled encounter
between the Corps of Discovery and the Lakota http://jamesayers.com/2013/04/23/lewis-and-clark-lead-todiscoveries-today/
Lewis and Clark Expedition: Sacagawea. Photograph. Britannica Online for Kids.
Web. 24 July 2013. <http://kids.britannica.com/elementary/art-88074>.
Lewis and Clark in the Bitterroots painted by Jim Carson http://www.jimcarsonstudio.com/large/lewisand-clark-in-the-bitterroots
"Lewis and Clark at Cape Disappointment" This painting depicts the Lewis and Clark Party on Cape
Disappointment, which is on the Southwest Washington Coast just west of the town of Ilwaco,
The Lewis and Clark Expedition by Thomas Mickell Burnham (1838) http://www.theathenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=16152#
Clip from the National Geographic film Lewis & Clark: Great Journey West.