South-South Cooperation for Democratic Development: CSO Key Messages and Policy Recommendations Key Messages * The human rights and democratic framework of SSC should be strengthened.download report
Transcript South-South Cooperation for Democratic Development: CSO Key Messages and Policy Recommendations Key Messages * The human rights and democratic framework of SSC should be strengthened.
South-South Cooperation for Democratic Development: CSO Key Messages and Policy Recommendations
* The human rights and democratic framework of SSC
should be strengthened so that the acclaimed advantage of Southern donors in terms of their avowed respect for national sovereignty and policy of non interference is not abused.
* Democratic ownership must be the core principle of SSC
* South -South people’s solidarity should be at the heart
of SSC. It must be based on principles of solidarity, mutual benefit, and people’s empowerment
* SSC should be encouraged and promoted at
various levels, with adequate and structured support from developed countries and the UN.
* SSC must be supportive of and foster conditions for self-reliant and sustainable development.
Promote SSDC as a strategy by which all peoples and countries of the South pursue economic independence and self-reliance based on shared interests, common objectives and solidarity
* SSDC must support creating an enabling environment for CSOs
* Newly emerging donors in the context of SSC are welcome, but it remains critically important to guard against the threat of creating or reinforcing existing dependencies, especially in the case of countries that are regional powers and which might develop SSC programs to carve their own zones of influence. To prevent this, it must be framed by a broad agenda drawn from South-South political alliances that are based on alternative models of Southern sustainable development, taking a more holistic vision and encompassing all forms of cooperation and financing for development including aid, trade, debt relief, foreign investment, domestic resource mobilization etc. Promote horizontal SSC
to national development and poverty reduction strategies, designed in a broad and inclusive manner. 2. Governments and multilateral institutions must facilitate
including planning, monitoring and evaluation of development programs/projectsand engagement at all levels. 3. Recipient governments, including their people, must have
the freedom to apply their own country systems and standards
to SSC projects as appropriate to their priorities and needs.
No policy conditionality
5. Technical Assistance should be
6. Adhere to and implement the highest standards of openness and
Indicators for evaluating the social and environmental risks and actual impacts of SSC should be developed
7. SSC government must establish a
new debt architecture that is inclusive, participatory and democratically accountable
peoples it aims to serve. to the 8. Establish a more equitable, transparent and inclusive aid governance system encompassing DAC donors, emerging donor countries, developing country governments and CSOs.
9. Debt cancellation
from southern creditors found to be odious or illegitimate, which is in line with a global CSO call to cancel all such debt.
10. SSC best practices should be studied and promoted
, not just among developing countries, but also among developed countries and multilateral institutions.