Transcript The Circulatory System - University of California, Irvine
The Circulatory System
Background • What organ circulates the blood?
• Location and components of this organ?
• Function of circulation?
• Mechanism of circulation?
Background • The heart • Composed of Cardiac Muscle • Heart rate (Hr)
Background • Cardiac Muscle – One of the three major type of muscle in the body – Oxidative – Striated • Highly resistant to fatigue – Mitochondria – Myoglobin
• Pumps blood through the body in a closed system, and that after it supplies nutrients and oxygen to the cells, it returns to the heart. Function
Mechanism • What sets the Hr?
– Pacemaker – Right Atrium – Innervations by Sympathetic/ parasympathetic pathway
• How is the heart rate set?