Do Empires collapse due to internal or external factors?
Transcript Do Empires collapse due to internal or external factors?
Do Empires collapse due to
internal or external factors?
What made the Mongols so
successful? List at least 3 reasons
Note: Tomorrow you will receive a
review sheet for the MIDTERM on
Thursday April 14th. It will cover ALL
TOPICS SINCE FEBRUARY
Greatest Extent of Their Empire
Division and Decline 1279 - 1294
The Mongolian Horse and Saddle
What’s the big deal about the Mongols?
• In 84 years, from 1195-1279, they conquered
the largest land empire the world has ever
• They did this without modern weaponry,
transportation or communications.
• Their army never numbered more than
What factors led to the decline of the
Based on the Documents, fill in the
following chart (see back of your
• 1. Why was it difficult to unite the Mongols?
• 2. Critical thinking time! How did Genghis
Khan solve these problems?
• 3. Without strong leadership, what would you
predict would happen to the Mongols?
Homework: Due Monday!
• Write a letter to Kublai Khan advising him how
to save his empire
• Explain to him if you think it was internal or
external factors that are leading to the decline
of the Mongol Empire
• Explain the similarities to the decline of the
Mongol Empire to other Empires