Transcript Earth Science Model Lesson
Earth Science Model Lesson
Presented by Jeanie Shannon and Sarah Paslay
NC Essential Standard
• EEn.2.7.1 Explain how abiotic and biotic factors interact to create the various biomes in North Carolina.
• I can explain how abiotic and biotic factors interact to create the various biomes in North Carolina.
Criteria for Success
• • • • I will identify biotic and abiotic factors.
I will be able to differentiate the 6 major earth biomes.
I will be able to explain to which biome North Carolina belongs I will be able to explain why North Carolina belongs to that biome.
Bell ringer activity
• • • • Break the following sets of words down using the prefix/suffix lists provided. You may work together in groups of two or three to determine what the words mean Biosphere Biotic Biome Biodiversity Abiotic Deciduous
• • • • • People Animals Plants Insects Birds
• • • • • • • Weather Latitude Altitude Water Soil Rocks Minerals
• World Biome Brochure • Biome Children’s book ▫ Create a colorful brochure that includes the 6 major biomes including: Temperature Rainfall Animals Plants Latitude Altitude ▫ Write a story about an animal going through at least 4 biomes to find the one it is adapted to live in. Rainforest, tundra, taiga, temperate deciduous forest, desert, grasslands ▫ Must be colored and include pictures **Extra points would be rewarded for this choice
Incorporating Technology and Common Core Standards • • • http://its.guilford.k12.nc.us/webquests/forest/f orest.htm Incorporates Vocabulary Worksheet focusing on NC biomes ▫ Answers must be written in sentence form and proper vocabulary included
• • • Where does NC fit in? ▫ Discuss weather, altitude, animals, plants, latitude (refer to website from previous two days) Cookie lab ▫ using provided materials make a visual representation that would show that NC is a deciduous forest Could adapt this to your classroom using printed copies of blank NC maps