HERMANN HESSE - Union City High School
Transcript HERMANN HESSE - Union City High School
A Biographical Resemblance
Questions and Answers
When and where was Hermann
• Born July 2, 1877, at Calw (kalf),
Wurttemberg, Germany on the edge
of the Black Forest.
Where is the town specifically
• On the edge of the Black Forest
What was the vocation of his
parents and maternal
• They were Pietist missionaries.
• His grandfather was also a
student of Indian dialect.
*Pietist – German Lutheran
What was the name of the school
from which he ran away?
• The protestant Maulbronn
Seminary from which he ran away
from in 1892.
What can we infer is the reason
why he ran away from this
• Perhaps because he did not want
the same career as his parents
After leaving school, what were
the two jobs he had?
• He worked in bookstores as a
young man, but was also an
apprentice in a tower and clock
• What two types of professional
help did he seek?
• He tried both faith healing and
• What was he trying to achieve by
seeking this help?
• Peace of mind
• What specific knowledge did his
visit to India in 1911 give him?
• His trip provided an
understanding of Eastern
Into what did he incorporate his
knowledge from this trip?
He incorporates them into his
novels, such as Siddhartha
• What part did he play in World
• He attacked militarism and
nationalism of Germany;
therefore, he was labeled a
• Who did he join?
• Hesse joined pacifist Roman
• In what type of activities did he
• He became involved in anti-war
What important event took place
in Hesse’s life in 1923?
• He became a citizen of
• When and how did Hesse die?
• Died August 9, 1962, from a
• What was the name of his illness?
• How long did he have it without
• He suffered from Leukemia for 6
years without knowing he had it.
Name two themes that Hesse
used repeatedly in his writing.
• Common themes include identity
and humanity’s role in the world,
What are the attitudes or
experiences that Hermann Hesse
has in common with his
In other words, what are the autobiographical
elements in the novel?
• Like Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse does not
follow in his parents’ footsteps and makes his
• Both know about Eastern religions
• Both fought for what they believed.
• Both sought peace of mind.
– Siddhartha is an example of Hesse’s common