Faculty Diversity News Spring Forum 2008
Faculty Diversity News Spring Forum 2008
Faculty Diversity News
Spring Forum 2008
Associate Vice Provost for Faculty
Equity and Diversity
• Family-friendly policies
– FAQ for childbearing and child rearing:
– Procedures summary sheet on web
– Work/life balance brochure in progress
• Career Partners Program
• Faculty mentoring program
• PAID Chairs Retreat – Lake Arrowhead
Family Accommodations for
Childbearing and Childrearing – FAQ
What is Childbearing Leave?
I am a ladder rank faculty member and a birth mother. I heard I can get childbearing leave for two quarters. Is this
What is Stop the Clock for the Care of a Child or Children?
How much time off can I have to be with my new baby or adopted child?
Do I have to take it all at once?
What is Pregnancy Disability Leave?
What is Family Medical Leave Act?
Is FMLA a paid leave?
What is Active Service-Modified Duties?
Who is eligible for Active Service-Modified Duties?
What is Parental Leave Without Pay?
How does Childbearing Leave interact with Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?
Does the Family and Medical Leave Act apply to academic appointments?
What is the expectation for service? No classroom teaching or light to no service load?
If a faculty woman gives birth during the summer, may she take a quarter of full leave in the fall, immediately
following that summer? Similarly, if she gives birth at the end of the Fall quarter, may she take the quarter of full
leave immediately following, in the Winter quarter?
I am an academic year female faculty member who is pregnant and expecting to deliver my baby at the end of the
Spring quarter. May I take my maternity leave during the following Fall quarter? May I get summer salary during
If I am adopting a child, do the same rules apply?
May a faculty member defer a merit for a year without penalty, in terms of salary, due to having or adopting a
What is Extension of the Eight Year Probationary Period?
I’d like to place my child in the UCR Child Development Center. How long a wait is there, and is there help
available for alternative arrangements if my child can’t get a spot right away?
If there are any questions with the process, who do I contact?
FAQ: example 1
• What is Stop the Clock for the Care of a Child or
This is not a leave; it is a stoppage of the tenure clock for
ladder rank faculty for purposes of childrearing. Mothers
and fathers, adoptive or natural, who have 50% or more
responsibility for care of an infant or newly adopted child
under the age of five are eligible to request a Stop the
Clock. Such requests must be made within two years of
the birth or adoption of the child and must be exercised
before July 1 of the academic year in which a promotion
review is to occur (no later than the second half of
his/her actual fifth year).
FAQ: example 2
• I’d like to place my child in the UCR Child Development
Center. How long a wait is there, and is there help available for
alternative arrangements if my child can’t get a spot right
The UCR Child Development Center provides year-round daycare
for infants and children up to 5 years of age, including a preschool
program. As of spring 2008, the wait to get a child into the Center
varies, but it is shorter for older children (> 2 years) than for
infants. Children aged 2 and older typically can get admitted within
a year. The Center Director, Judith Wood, is happy to provide
further information and help faculty with alternative arrangements for
their children ([email protected], www.childrenservices.ucr.edu,
951-827-3854). A second center, currently scheduled to open June
2009, will increase capacity and help decrease the wait time.
Procedures for Work/Life
• In Academic Personnel website, under “Family
Friendly Programs” – Procedures for the
Work/Life Balance Initiative
• Contains information for chairs, deans, and
faculty members on exactly how to obtain
leaves, what forms to fill out (links), etc.
• Used as a model for system-wide practice!
Work/life balance brochure:
• Modeled after Career Partners Program
– Katina Napper and Sara Umali will assist
• Will include information and links on family
leaves, child care, resources system-wide
• Ideas, suggestions on what to include are
Career Partners Program
• Don’t forget: everyone who interviews for a
faculty position should receive brochure
• Some successes so far, both for academic
and non-academic opportunities
– We are building up a good network of
contacts in many fields
• Earlier notification is better
Faculty Mentoring Program:
• New faculty often have questions about
adjusting to life as an academic
• Important in retaining faculty, avoiding
misunderstandings (and lawsuits!),
• Can be particularly important for women
and under-represented minorities
• Good models at UCSD, Stanford, UCSF,
University of Michigan, SUNY Stony Brook
Effectiveness of Mentor
• Cal State Long Beach:
– After 1 year, compared mentored and nonmentored faculty
– Mentored had:
Higher levels of job satisfaction
Better teaching evaluations
Most firm plans for remaining at the institution
Typical issues addressed
• How does one establish an appropriate balance between
teaching, research and committee work? How does one
• What criteria are used for teaching excellence, how is
• How does one obtain feedback concerning teaching?
What resources are available for teaching
• How does one identify and recruit good graduate
students? How are graduate students supported? What
should one expect from graduate students? What is
required in the graduate program?
• Committee of faculty and relevant
administrators: meets May 22
• Develop program using UCSD as model
• One mentor inside dept, one outside
• Will pilot during 08-09 using GSOE as test; may
have room for one or two additional departments
– Must have several new faculty (junior and senior are
Reminder: Chairs Retreat
Leading through Diversity
• UCLA Conference Center, Lake Arrowhead: Oct.
• Sponsored by the Partnership for Faculty Equity
and Diversity: UCLA, UCR, UCSB, UCI, UCSD
– Part of PAID NSF grant activities
• Last year’s event was fun and informative
– Ask Jodie Holt or Ring Carde
• Need RSVPs from chairs ASAP (all STEM fields