AGED-RELATED MACULAR DEGENARTION. (AMD)
Transcript AGED-RELATED MACULAR DEGENARTION. (AMD)
BY: Basiru Lee Leigh
Mentor: Dr. Lee Angioletti
Angioletti Retina Associates
The part of the eye dealing with
The RETINA: the Retina is a
delicate lining in the
back of the eye that
creates impulses that
travel through the optic
nerve to the brain.
The MACULA: the part of
the eye that allows you
to see fine details.
• AMD is a disease associated with aging that gradually
destroys the sharp central vision of the eye.
• AMD is also the leading cause of irreversible severe
central visual loss.
• AMD mostly Affects adults 50 years and older in the
• AMD affects the macula.
• AMD has two forms: Dry & Wet AMD.
What are the causes and symptoms
• CAUSES: It can be cause by variety of factors like genetic, age,
nutrition, smoking and sunlight exposure.
1. Difficulty in reading.
3. loss of central vision. This symptom mostly happens in the
Cures for Dry and Wet
• Dry AMD has no treatment, but patients are told to take
vitamins and see an ophthalmologist every now and
• Wet AMD:
1.laser photocoagulation therapy.
2.photodynamic therapy (PDT).
3. injection of Anti-VEGF (Lucentis, Avastin,
• It’s when cells and blood vessels beneath
the macula break down and cause
deposits in the eye.
• In the United States about 90% of the
patients with AMD have the Dry type.
• It causes only 10% vision loss in the
patients with Dry AMD.
• Wet AMD happen when abnormal blood
vessel growth forms beneath the Macula.
• Only 10% of the patients with AMD have
the Wet type in the Untied States.
• It also causes 90% of the vision loss in the
• To see if vitamins can reduce the risk of
severe vision loss.
• To combine two treatments for Wet AMD
and see the results.
.Took pictures of their eyes.
. They were told to take vitamins containing Zinc (80mg), copper (2mg), vitamins
A,C and E. And to see the ophthalmologist on regular bases.
. Took pictures of the eye.
. Dilate the eyes.
. Then injected with Lucentis or Kenlog, followed up by PDT,
or some times PDT by itself.
.There eyes are later washed with an iodine solution.
. Patients were told to come back every three months for more
injection if the eye get worst.
• This patients AMD wasn’t that severe so
the patients was told to take small
amounts of vitamins.
• The patients also had to come to see the
Doctor every six months.
• The patient with the Wet AMD was severe and it
was untreated for a while, the patient could
have gone legally blind if the eye wasn’t
treated, although the OD (Rigth eye) couldn’t
• The patient was injected with Lucentis (0.5mg)
and giving PDT.
• He was released and told to come back in three
• Dry AMD:
Hope that the dry type doesn't
develop into a wet type, or to lose most
of his/her vision.
We expected the Kenalog plus the
PDT would lessen the amount swelling
and coagulate abnormal blood vessels.
Veteporfin in photodynamic therapy study group: by AM J> Ophthamol
Hardy RA (2004). Retina. In D Vaughan et al., eds., General Ophthalmology, 16th ed., pp. 189–211.
New York: Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill.
• Dr. Lee Angioletti
• Dr. sat
• Harlem children society