Parent- School Success
Parent- School Success
We are all striving for the same goal
– helping your child succeed!
The Benefits of Parent Involvement
High school students whose parents usually remain involved make
better transitions and are less likely to drop out of school.
Children generally achieve better grades, test scores, and attendance.
Consistent parent involvement leads to improved communication
and relations between parents, teachers, and administrators.
Parents are more confident in their decision-making skills about
Parents' perceptions of the school are improved
and there are stronger ties and commitment to the school.
Communication….secret to success
Communication is the key!
Be a great listener
Be proactive with teacher contact
How can parents be involved?
• Get your child involved in extra curricular activities such as clubs
and sports offered at FHS
• Remain proactive in helping your child plan their schedule to meet
personal career goals
• Talk to teachers and counselors
• Check grades on parent portal frequently
• Have students do homework the night it is assigned
• Have students attend Advisory for tutorials if needed the next
• Encourage reading (AR book plus a variety of other materials)
• Be supportive and offer assistance
• Develop organizational tools for home & school
• Make a mandatory quiet study time / manage cell phone use
ASSISTANCE FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS
The A’s have it!!
• ACCESSING THE PORTAL
• ADMINISTRATION SUPPORT
• ASK FOR HELP
• TUTORIALS FOR ANY CLASS
• AR READING ROOMS
• STUDY HALL ROOM
• TESTING CENTER
Students should arrive by 8:00 to attend Advisory.
Student not attending Advisory should arrive by 8:30.
Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 8:00
and is free for everyone!
STUDENTS CANNOT BE SUCCESSFUL
IF THEY ARE NOT HERE!
WE MONITOR ATTENDANCE TO HELP
• WRITE A NOTE WITH THE REASON YOUR CHILD IS ABSENT
(ONLY 10 PARENT NOTES PER YEAR ARE ACCEPTED)
• NOTES MUST BE TURNED IN WITHIN 3 DAYS OR THE ABSENCE
• AFTER 3 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES, TRUANCY CAN BE FILED
• QUESTIONS ABOUT ATTENDANCE CONTACT MRS. STOCKMAN
ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE MADE EACH AFTERNOON
STUDENTS SHOULD PAY CLOSE ATTENTION DURING
• ALL EVENT INFORMATION
• DRESS CODE CHANGES
• IMPORTANT DEADLINES
GET PORTAL ACCESS BY CONTACTING
BLANCA MORALES AT THE FHS FRONT DESK
WHAT CAN YOU SEE ON THE PORTAL?
• STUDENT GRADES
• STUDENT ASSIGNMENTS
• STUDENT ABSENCES
• TEACHER CONTACT INFORMATION
SEE HANDOUT FOR
NUMBERS AND DEPARTMENTS
WHAT CAN STUDENTS DO?
• Take learning seriously
• Participate in school activities, clubs and sports
• Attend Advisory when needed
• Build positive relationships with others
• Take responsibility for their actions
• Be respectful to everyone
• Be here and be on time
• Pay attention to the teacher
• ASK FOR HELP!!!!!!!
Ferris ISD will provide a world class
educational experience that empowers
all students to unlock their potential and
become confident, productive citizens in
an ever-changing society.