Warm Up #6
• What prewriting will you/have you done for
your essay today?
Warm Up #6
• Due today: Checkpoint #6
• Due next class: Checkpoint #7
• REMEMBER- you should have
you shadowing scheduled by now,
if not completed! See me if you are
having any problems!
• In the essay “Justice: Childhood Love Lessons”
the author, bell hooks, claims that, “No one can
rightfully claim to be loving when behaving
abusively” (paragraph 11).
• You will have 45 minutes to write a welldeveloped argument that shows the degree to
which you agree or disagree with this assertion.
Use carefully chosen evidence to support your
In class EPT style essaynext class
• On a blank sheet of paper (CANNOT be lined paper, should be
about printer paper size) you will complete the following:
• Side #1: Word collage- Write the title of the book in the center of a sheet
of paper. Then look through magazines for words, phrases, and sentences
that illustrate or tell something about your book. As you look, think in
terms of the theme, setting, plot line, as well as characters. Work to get
fifty such words, phrases, or sentences so the whole sheet of paper will be
covered. The visual impact of the collage should tell a potential reader a
lot about the book. You may also make a computer generated collage
(tagxedo.com is a great website for this)
• Side #2:Information- list the following on the back side of the paper:
1. The author
2. A list and brief description of the main characters
3. A brief summary of the book
3. Your review of the book
Outside Reading Final Project
Read chapters 2-3
and keep dialectical
journals. I want to
see an example of
each of the examples
from the right for
each chapter. The
should occur at the
end of each chapter.
• Question- write questions about the
story, characters, setting, events, what
you don’t understand, and what you
• Predict- what events seem to
foreshadow something to come, what
are you expecting next.
• Connect- try to relate to something in
the story either to yourself, the world,
or other texts.
• Reflect- what do you like, not like,
what is giving you clues to the theme
• Summarize- briefly summarize the
main events of the chapter.
Senior Project: #7
Animal Farm: Ch. 2 & 3 with notes
Start working/catching up on reading for outside reading project