ESL Center - Pasadena City College
Transcript ESL Center - Pasadena City College
; !“ “ - ? : ( )
Use of –s in verbs and nouns
• Do the Practice A-B on your handout.
• Stop and look up when you are finished.
• Do not do the second half.
Why is the –s so important?
• Noun+s= plural
• Tells if something is one or many (in the noun)
– I sold my book to the bookstore.
– I sold my books to the bookstore.
• Verb+s = singular
• The verb has to have ‘s’ in simple pres if the noun is
only one (3rd person singular)=“s-v agreement”
• The book costs $100. / The books cost $100.
– The book cost $100.(NO!!!!)
• Pronunciation of –s is also important.
– depends on the last sound of the word
• 3 ways: /s/, /z/, /iz/
Spelling rules of -s
WRITE THE PLURAL OF THE NOUNS OR
THE 3RD PERSON SINGULAR IN YOUR
So what are the rules for spelling?
What about irregular nouns?
WRITE THE PLURAL OR
SINGULAR FORM IN YOUR
Mouse - __________
Woman - __________
Tooth - __________
_________ - deer
_________ - leaves
What about non-count nouns?
• Noun= no: -s
• Verb = yes: –s (singular!)
• No: many/several/ two…
• Yes: a lot of / much/ some…
But how do you make them plural?
How do you count them?
TAKE 3 WORDS AND USE THEM AS THE SUBJECT OF 3
SENTENCES. START: FOOD…
Subject-Verb Agreement: There + ___+ sub
*There have five people in the room.
FILL IN THE BLANKS:
_______ _______ four letters in your mailbox.
_____ ______ a telephone on the desk.
Yesterday ____ ____ some things I had to do.
Tomorrow, _____ ______ some things I have to do.
Some confusing irregularities!
The United States ___ big.
Five hours ___ not enough for me.
The Japanese___ very polite.
Everything ____ so expensive.
Each of my friend/friends ____ nice.
The book I got from my parents ___
Eating cookies ___ not healthy.
A number of students ___ here now.
TAKE 5 MINUTES
. TO DO THE FINAL
PRACTICE ON THE HANDOUT. THEN
WE’LL CHECK YOUR ANSWERS