Transcript Modern Period of American Education (1920-present)
Modern Period of American Education (1920-present)
By Katie Outz
Adult Education Movement
• 21 million adults are taking some form of adult education • Many are afraid of loosing their jobs • Adults go back to school for many reasons
5 main types of adult education programs that evolved over time: Junto 2.
Smith Acts 4.
Veterans Administration 5.
• Communication was education • Crucial to social life • People need teachers • Learn how to be problem solvers
Brown vs. Board of Education
• Linda Carol Brown Topeka, Kansas required to attend all black school • Her father teamed up with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People • 9 blacks were escorted into a high school
Public Law, The Education of All Handicapped Children Act • Improve education program for handicap children • Children and adults (3-21) • Evaluation for special education programs • IEP must then be written out • Parent training
George Counts and Progressive Education • Wrote “The Principles of Education” and “Dare the School Build a New Social Order” • Wanted teachers to lead society • Teachers should be concerned with outside world • Schools need to join groups
Stanley Hall and the Testing Movement • Influenced by Charles Darwin • Focused attention on needs of adolescents • Stages of children's lives
• http://www.nd.edu/~rbarger/www7/ • www.bugzplaypark.co.za
• www.myleapsandbounds.co.uk/disabled.jpg • www.khsd.k12.ca.us/bas/images/lgpic_home.jpg