Transcript (PPTX, Unknown) - Tennessee Career Development
Allie Rhinehart, M.A.
Justina Farley, B.A.
Tiffany Brooks, M.S.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
* Career is one part of the whole person.
* The 21 st century job market is fluid, as is a person’s vocational personality. * A holistic framework addresses multiple aspects of an individual’s personality, as well as any apprehensions he or she may have about finding a place in the world of work.
(Savickas, 2011) * Reid (2005) insists narrative theory must be embraced to ensure successful career counseling in the 21 st century.
* Shifts from objective measures * Provides a more holistic, subjective, and positivistic approach * Encompasses the importance of self-reflection (Maxwell, 2007) *
* Help counselors understand an individual’s personal story * Facilitate the creation of a client’s career * Assist in altering client’s story (Savickas, 2005) *
* Traditional trait-factor approaches do not take into account the complexity of career behavior (Bujold, 2004). * Many career researchers and practitioners embrace narrative approaches. *
* Offer college students a place for self-exploration.
* Promote an increased knowledge base regarding educational programs and the world of work. * Improve decision-making skills * Development of self-awareness * Understanding of majors
(Kelly & Pulver, 2003)
* Discussion vs. Lecture * Personal Reflections * Experiential Activities * Partner and Group Processing * Technology * PowerPoint, Prezi, Videos, Internet * Guest Speakers * Individual Appointments *
* Life Circle * Timeline * Values Reflection * Card sort * Final Integrative Reflection * Dream Job Activity * Prompts * What piece of your SII results can be a part of your career story?
* Future Career Autobiography (FCA) *
* * Qualitative tool * Personal and career motives, values, and direction * Purpose: * To measure change or lack of change in an individual’s occupational narrative over time * To assess for career intervention effectiveness (Rehfuss, 2009)
* “Write a brief paragraph about where you hope to be in life and what you hope to be doing occupationally in 5 years after graduating from college.” *
* Goal: * Empower individuals to be the narrator of their career story * Examine their current and future values/commitments * More research/practice is needed (Rehfuss & Di Fabio, 2012) *
* Promote storytelling by asking leading questions and identifying themes * Raise client awareness of themes and unresolved issues * Help client construct a career to fit themes and address issues * Promote career adaptability *
* Measure the effectiveness of career exploration courses for undergraduate students * Identify students with continued needs for career counseling * Opportunities to offer post course interventions to students identified as having no change *