**** 1 - 신소재공학부 Materials Science and Engineering
Transcript **** 1 - 신소재공학부 Materials Science and Engineering
신소재공학부/School of Materials Science and Engineering
Sustainable Functional Ceramics Lab.
Two emerging keywords in ceramic community are sustainability and tailored functionality
for advanced applications. This high-efficient-oriented and eco-friendly approach are to
respond properly to the environmental regulations getting tougher and tougher. One of the
biggest challenges on this quest lies in the fact that most useful ceramic materials contain
nominally toxic elements that should be eventually removed. Our goal is to best-tailor the
functionality of ceramic materials to meet the requirements for practical applications in
accordance with the environmental appropriateness.
high-current energy storage
• 2014~Present: Associate Professor (UNIST)
• 2014~Present: International Director at
Korean Institute of Electrical and Electronic
• 2013~Present: Associate Editor at Journal
of the American Ceramic Society
• 2012~Present: Editor at Scientific Reports
• 2012~Present: Editor at Journal of
• 2007~2013 : Technische Universität
Darmstadt, Assistant Professor at Institute
of Materials Science
• 2005~2006 : Seoul National University,
Research Associate at the School of
Materials Science & Engineering
• 2005: Ph. D. Materials Science &
Engineering, Seoul National University
• 2003: M. S Materials Science & Engineering,
Seoul National University
• 2001: B. S. Ceramic Engineering, Yonsei
• 1st & 2nd most cited articles in 2012 at
Journal of Applied Physics
• Most active referees at Physica Status Solidi
in 2010 & 2011
• 2011: Research highlight at Applied Physics
• 2006-Present: Registered at Marquis Who’s
Who in Science & Engineering
• 2004: Best research awards, Seoul National
• 2003: 1st place award at Ceramograph
contest, American Ceramic Society
• Emerging Functional Materials Research
K = (R/R)/
School of Materials Science and Engineering,
Ulsan National Institute of Science and
Office : Engineering BLDG 1. Rm. 301-1
Lab : Engineering BLDG 1. Rm. 405
E-mail: [email protected]
Lead-free piezoceramics, dielectric materials, electrocaloric materials
High power piezoelectric applications, Large stroke actuator materials, high-efficiency solidstate cooling devices, in situ characterization of functional properties.
On going research Topics (selected)
1. Lead-free piezoceramics for actuator applications
Research Publications (selected)
1. E. Sapper, A. Gassmann, L. Gjødvad, W. Jo, T. Granzow, and J. Rödel, “Cycling Stability of
Lead-Free BNT-8BT and BNT-6BT-3KNN Multilayer Actuators and Bulk Ceramics,” J. Eur.
Ceram. Soc. 34  (2014) 653-61.
2. C. Groh, D. J. Franzbach, W. Jo, K. G. Webber, J. Kling, L. A. Schmitt, H.-J. Kleebe, S.-J. Jeong,
J.-S. Lee, J. Rödel, “Relaxor/Ferroelectric Composites: A Solution in the Quest for
Practically Viable Lead-Free Incipient Piezoceramics,” Adv. Funct. Mater., 24  (2013)
3. K. Wang, F. Yao, W. Jo, D. Gobeljic, V. V. Shvartsman, D. C. Lupascu, J.-F. Li, and J. Rödel,
“Temperature-Insensitive (K, Na)NbO3-Based Lead-Free Piezo Actuator Ceramics,” Adv.
Funct. Mater. 23  (2013) 4079-86.
4. R. Dittmer, W. Jo, J. Rödel, S. V. Kalinin, and N. Balke, “Nanoscale insight into lead-free
BNT-BT-xKNN,” Adv. Funct. Mater. 22  (2012) 4208-15.
5. W. Jo, R. Dittmer, M. Acosta, J. Zang, C. Groh, E. Sapper, K. Wang, and J. Rödel, “Giant
electric-field-induced strains in lead-free ceramics for actuator applications – status and
perspective,” J. Electroceram. 29  (2012) 71-93.
6. W. Jo and J. Rödel, “Electric-Field-Induced Volume Change and Room Temperature Phase
Stability of (Bi1/2Na1/2)TiO3-x mol% BaTiO3 Piezoceramics,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 99  (2011)
7. W. Jo, D.-Y. Kim, and N.-M. Hwang, "Effect of Interface Structure on the Microstructural
Evolution of Ceramics," J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 89  (2006) 2369-80.
1. Dielectric Ceramic Materials and Its Usage as Dielectric Components, German Patent, 10
2012 106 743.0, 04 JUL 2013.
2. Method of Fabricating Polycrystalline Ceramic for Thermoelectric Devices, U.S. patent: US
13/064,222, 3 NOV 2011.
3. Ceramic Material, Method for the Production of the Ceramic Material and Component
Comprising the Ceramic Material, EU Patent, PCT/EP2009/055310, 30 APR 2009.