NQ5 English Course Overview
Transcript NQ5 English Course Overview
National 5 English Course
You will develop your skills in the
What you will do:
• Study literature from several
genres (poetry, prose, drama &
At least one genre will consist of
• Develop your ability to write
• Develop your ability to research a
chosen topic and present your
understanding in an
argumentative or discursive
• Develop your ability to listen to a
discussion (from audio/visual
media) and talk about its content.
• Develop your Close Reading skills
INTERNAL ASSESSMENT (UNITS)
• In order to ensure that
you are working at the
required standard to sit
the exam you will also
complete a series of
internally assessed units:
• CLOSE READING/TEXTUAL
• TALKING & LISTENING
1. Analysis and Evaluation
a) Close reading task:
• You will be expected to read a poem/piece of
writing and demonstrate your understanding
through completing close reading analysis
b) Listening/Watching and Talking Task:
• Watch a programme/clip of teacher’s choosing
as a stimulus for group discussion.
• Answer ‘media’-type questions about what
you have watched.
2. Creation and Production
a) Piece of writing – This will be as a response
to a stimulus such as a clip/TV prog/news
• Everyone will write the same type of piece
(creative or discursive) of between 500-1000
b) Talk (Group OR Debate OR Individual) on a
topic – might link to class text or attached to
piece of writing (a)
Pass or Fail!
• a) 1x Creative (Imaginative or personal
• b) 1x Discursive (Argumentative/Persuasive)
• Both essays will be developed throughout the
• Between 500-1000 words long.
• Will be externally assessed. (March)
• 30% of overall mark.
• 2 x papers:
• READING FOR
• 1 x Close Reading (30%)
• CRITICAL READING
• 1 x Critical Essay about
a studied text (20%)
• 1 x Textual Analysis of
Scottish literature (20%)
How to Prepare?!
• Read lots over the summer hols!
Decide discursive topic