Transcript Secretariat strategy for AEGEE
SECRETARIAT STRATEGY FOR AEGEE-EUROPE
WHY A SECRETARIAT?
• Secretariat: permanent paid staff who would work for AEGEE. The secretariat would NOT replace the CD, but would complement its work • WHY?
• CONTINUITY • • • • • PROFESSIONALISM EXPERTISE AND ADMINISTRATION EFFICIENCY RELEASING ADMIN/TECHNICAL WORK FROM CD STRATEGY POLITICAL VISION
WHY A SECRETARIAT?
• • Current situation: the workload is assumed by: • 7 CD members • • • Punctual interns (not-paid + often upon their request) Ad-hoc CD assistants 1 staff paid thanks to LLL projects.
Board members (CD) are dealing with: • Vision, planning, decision-making, representation, strategy development • Technical issues (visa, staff payment, head office management, website management), administrative tasks (fundraising, communication, financial management…), implementation tasks (implementation of strategy, writing grants etc)
WHY A SECRETARIAT
• This big workload (strategy + implementation) is usually assumed by two bodies in other youth organisations: Board + secretariat (ie, YFJ, ESN, OBESU, YEU, EEE-YFU etc)
WHY A SECRETARIAT STRATEGY
With introduction of staff in AEGEE headoffice (= experts), need to clarify the relations between CD and staff 2.
Wish to explore the possibility to have a permanent staff working for AEGEE, and to redefine the workload between CD and staff
OPTIONS FOR SECRETARIAT
• In our proposal: • CD would still live and work in Brussels •
is composed of experts who can deal with administrative tasks not directly linked with the network (fundraising, website, financial management, communication) •
would thus have more time to focus on policy, representation, strategic planning, and internally, to work with bodies, propose ad-hoc solutions to issues etc • Secretariat could be composed of: • 1 or 2 paid staff • 1 paid (expert) intern
(FINANCIAL) OPTIONS FOR SECRETARIAT
• How could it be financially sustainable?
• Continue applying for LLL grants in order to have money available • Apply for bigger administrative grant: from YIA to Jean Monnet (we are still waiting from clarification from Erasmus +) • Reducing the number of CD members? some more administrative tasks could be taken care of by staff, (ie, • Financial director, Secretary General, Fundraising, Communication..) Use EU programmes like “youth worker mobility” of YIA, EVS, Grundtvig,
WHAT DO WE WANT?
• • Feedback on the concept, your questions and clarifications if needed To build a task force to explore seriously all financial options and be able to have a serious proposal at Agora Patra