Transcript Slide 1
Parent Information Evening 4 May 2015 Year 10 & 11 Enrichment and Enhancement Opportunities
Certificate II in Active Volunteering
Offered in Year 10 in conjunction with Volunteering Queensland as the Registered Training Organisation.
Students gain the qualification PLUS QCE points.
Course comprises 9 competencies ( 5 core + 4 elective) PLUS a 30 hour volunteering component.
Volunteering can be undertaken as a part of CAS service component.
Theory components will be conducted “in school” • First Aid certificate was completed in term 1 week 8 • Remaining competencies were completed term 1 week 10
CHCVOL201A HLTOHS200B CHCCOM201C CHCORG202C CHCADMIN201D BSBITU301C BSBWRT301A
Be an effective volunteer Participate in OHS processes Communicate with people accessing the services of the organisation Work with others Undertake basic administrative duties Create an electronic presentation Write simple documents
Core Core Core Core Core Elective Elective HLTAID003 HLTAID001 Apply first aid Perform CPR Elective Elective
Science Industry Preparation (SIP)
Yr 10 Program Science Industry Preparation
Certificate III course in laboratory techniques Offered through TAFE Brisbane (formerly the Southbank Institute of Technology) Two components • Intensive onsite practical course run in the last week of term 4 • Online course generally run after the students complete the practical component Cost – 2015 was $750; the 2016 is TBC ($100 deposit required to confirm place)
Yr 10 Program Certificate III Laboratory Skills Topics include :
• • • • • • • • Laboratory safety Infection control / bacterial monitoring Microscopic examination of pond water organisms Media preparation using aseptic techniques Blood typing – refer handout Forensic investigation – drug screens Food – fruit ices and sorbet Sensory evaluation
Assessment : Part A
Online Quality and Communication units • Online assessments
Laboratory workshops on site at Southbank campus • Assessment is both summative & formative and ongoing during the 5 day intensive workshop.
• Conducted daily and will include review questions. • and observation checklists to be completed during class time Feedback will be given to all students during the course of the program at TAFE Brisbane.
Opportunities at UQ
Mid Semester Year 11
• WRIT 1999 – Effective thinking & writing http://www.uq.edu.au/esp/qasmt-students • Intensive 5 day program offered on site at QASMT • 2015 course runs 29 June to 3 July • Maximum 30 students • Attracts 1 bonus rank towards university entry • Attracts QCE points • COST- $210.00
• Applications open 8 May & close 5 June
Wesley Hospital Internships
Year 11 Internship
• Week long program based at the Wesley Hospital • Generally runs during the first week of December • Highly sort after placement – restricted to 2 students/participating school • For students interested in any aspect of health care ( not just medicine) • Internship comprises lectures, tours & practical workshops • Applications are through the school • Information will be provided to students & parents later in the year
Enhancing Science Education at QASMT
World class facilities
• Purpose built, fully equipped laboratory spaces • Atomic absorption spectrometer • Observatory – STAR Parties • Individual experimental investigation in each science subject • Robotics club • National Science Week Expo
• Science Ambassador program • Australian Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology • Science and Engineering Challenge • RACI Titration competition • Experience Science Day • SPARQed Research Immersion program • Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation • Vice-Chancellor’s STEM Camp • STEM Teacher in residence activities • START QUT in all Science subjects • Extended Essay mentoring
State, National and International Opportunities
• USA Supercomputer conference • National Youth Science Forum • Peter Doherty Awards • Sleek Geeks Eureka Video Competition • Queensland Science Contest and BHP Billiton Science Awards • International Science School