Transcript Windows Phone 8 * Apollo
Blast off with Windows Phone 8 “Apollo”
Kelly White Microsoft MVP – Windows Phone Development [email protected]
Agenda o What are your questions?
o Announcements from 6/20/2012 o Developer Story o Windows Phone 8 Upgrades o My Strategy as a Consultant o Questions
What are your questions?
o Well? Speak up?
Windows Phone Summit
Windows Phone Summit o Held on 6/20/2012 o Just a sneak peak, not full disclosure
One big announcement…
Shared Core Previous versions of Windows Phone were based on Windows CE “Windows Phone 8 will ship this holiday with a shared core inside that’s common code between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.”
Joe Belfiore Windows Phone Summit July 20, 2012
What does this mean?
• Kernel, Networking, File System, Multimedia, Graphics, etc • Well-tested software, in use by 1.3 billion people today • Hardware partners benefit in having to build drivers only once • Easier to develop apps across all platforms • Customers can expect higher quality apps
8 Platform Announcements Results of moving to a Shared Core…
1. Latest and Greatest Hardware Multi-Core Chipsets – Dual-Core & more… e.g. Qualcomm Snapdragon S4
1. Latest and Greatest Hardware 3 Screen Resolutions WVGA 800x480 (15:9) WXGA 1280x768 (15:9) 720p 1280x720 (16:9) *New graphics hardware means that existing apps auto-scale and look amazing on all screens.
1. Latest and Greatest Hardware MicroSD Support e.g. Photos, Music, Videos, Installing Apps
• 2x HTML5 feature support compared to Windows 7.5 (e.g. touch support)
3. Native Code: Killer Games • Common platform for Windows Phone and Windows • Native game development platform based on DirectX • Games developers can write the same game for Windows 8 and Windows Phone
Native Code • C / C++ • Gaming Middleware – Havok (Halo, Skyrim, Assassin’s Creed)
Native Code Share common code between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8
NFC (not AFC)
4. Better Sharing with NFC Tap-to share, etc… – Magazine Ads – Business Cards – NFC enabled phones – Windows Surface – Matchmaking (e.g. gaming over p2p network)
5. Most Complete Wallet Experience • Credit & Debit Cards • Loyalty & Membership Cards • Access Saved Deals • Supports NFC ‘Tap to Pay’ • In-App-Purchases * Secure SIM-based solution in partnership with mobile operators, will see these next year in US, but not at time of launch.
6. Nokia Map Technology • Great global NAVTEQ Map data • Offline map support • Map control for developers • Turn-by-Turn Directions
Ready for Enterprise…
7. Windows Phone 8 for Business • Trusted shared Windows core • Encryption and Secure Boot • LOB App Development • Device Management • Familiar Office Apps
7. Windows Phone 8 for Business • Complete Security Platform – Secure Boot – Bitlocker Encryption • Flexible App Distribution – Business controlled • Device Management – Enable integration with software management systems
LOB App Development • Sign and deploy apps without going through marketplace • Company Hub
8. New Start Screen
8. New Start Screen • Digital fingerprint • 3 sizes of Live Tiles • Existing apps get small and medium tiles without redeploy • Negative space removed
But wait, there’s more…
Other Features • App-to-App Communication • Compile in the Cloud (machine code) • SQLite for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 • VoIP and Video Chat (available to all devs) • Location apps can run in the background • Speech Platform (available to all devs)
Developer Story • Every WP7 app will run on WP8 • Still able to target and publish for WP 7.5
– XAML with C#/VB – XNA • All development done in VS2012
Developer Story One App Model, three technology choices* – XAML with C#/VB – Native C/C++ – HTML5 browser control *Not exclusive, can mix and match
Windows 8 vs Windows Phone • Smaller form factor • Be care of touch resolution
Things to remember • Better hardware, faster • Amazing games • Improved multitasking • Talk with your apps • More ways for Devs to make money • Enterprise ready
Windows Phone 8 Upgrades
Windows Phone 8 Update • Updates are delivered over the air • Devices are supported with updates for at least 18 months • Program lets registered enthusiasts get early access to updates before broad consumer push
“Windows Phone 8 is a generation change and will not run on existing devices.”
Windows Phone 7.8
Existing users of Windows Phone 7.5 will get an update which brings the new start screen to their phone.
Nokia is releasing exclusive apps for current and future Lumia customers.
Strategy • Build for Windows Phone 7.5 now • Learn how to build games with XNA first, then jump into Native with Direct3D • Stop whining and start building, there’s already over 100,000+ apps in marketplace
How and when to learn more?
“Later this summer” – Download SDK and attend a Windows Phone developer event Rumored BUILD Conference?
– Register immediately if/when announced Windows Phone Developer Conference – October 22-24 (http://wpdevcon.net/)
Resources • Windows Phone Summit – http://aka.ms/wpsummit • App Hub – http://create.msdn.com
• Windows Phone Developer Team Blog – http://bit.ly/cwBmRU
Continued discussion See you at On the Border...
Contact Information Email: [email protected]
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mckhendry Blog: http://kelly.whitepdx.com