People Sure Are STRANGE!
Coming to understand the Customer
What we’ll be talking about
• Finding customers
• Providing those customers great service
• Wikipedia has basic demographic information
for just about every city and town you can
• Besides ethnicities, look at age demographics
Emerging ethnic marketplaces
• South East Asian- Vietnamese, Cambodian,
Laotian are in Syracuse
• Serbian & Bosnian
• African- In Syracuse one of our more
prominent African communities is Sudanese
• Multicultural + Office of/department
of/services/resource center + your community
• Ethnicity + Community Center + Your
Examples in Syracuse
• SUNY-ESF Office of Multicultural Affairs
• Spanish Action League
• Center for New Americans Refugee
• Good customer service is getting a customer
what they want. Great customer service is
getting them something they didn’t know they
• Great service is all about building relationships
with your customers
• Ask questions that learn more about your
customer, and help you understand the
greater picture of their eating habits.
• What drives your customers buying habits:
whole food, local food, seasonality, kids,
What has brought this
customer to you?
• Life long whole food eater?
• New parent?
• Friends recommendation?
• Change in diet/health concern?
• Good service can be as simple as knowing a
group’s dietary preferences.
• Giving samples.
• Customer sourced recipes.
Odds and ends
• SNAP benefits
Small Potatoes Sales & Marketing is a
boutique marketing firm that
specializes in working with small scale
producers from Central New York. We
offer a wide variety of consulting and
advocacy services for all stakeholders
in the CNY food system.
The Farmers Market Federation of New York
is a grassroots, membership organization of
farmers' market managers, market sponsors,
farmers and market supporters. Together, we
have developed a spectrum of services to
increase the number and capacity of farmers'
markets in the state, develop the scope of
professionalism in farmers' market
management and improve the ability of
markets to serve their farmers, their
consumers and their host communities.