Transcript PowerEdge VRTX Customer NDA presentation
Dell PowerEdge VRTX presentation
Dell PowerEdge VRTX Agenda
Pervasive IT concerns in office environments
• • •
Complexity due to disparate hardware Hardware sprawl and lack of space Proliferation and complexity of systems management tools • • •
Higher IT costs and total cost of ownership System downtime for maintenance Remote systems management inconsistent with data centre tools • • •
Insufficient scalability to handle performance spikes or support business growth Power incompatibility High noise levels
PowerEdge VRTX: Customer-inspired design
• • • • • • • Office-optimised dimensions, acoustics and security Virtualisation-ready Scalable, integrated shared storage to harness data explosion Simplified systems management Simplified networking to fit even small business budgets Highly available and easy to service Flexible installation with both rack and standalone options PowerEdge VRTX deskside orientation
PowerEdge VRTX: Front and rear views
LCD display panel Eight external PCI Express Slots Remote management ports CMC KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) ports Shared storage up to 25 x 2.5-inch or 12 x 3.5-inch hard disk drive (HDD )
Locking front cover Hot plug redundant power supply units Eight RJ45 network interface card (NIC) ports Hot plug redundant blowers Shared DVD Internal low latency, fast storage Up to four PowerEdge M520 or PowerEdge M620 server nodes
Drive performance with PowerEdge VRTX server nodes
• • •
Proven PowerEdge server nodes deliver workhorse performance and density without compromise
Feature-rich, two-socket, half-height PowerEdge M520 and PowerEdge M620 server nodes combine superb performance with exceptional flexibility.
–PowerEdge M620: Fifty percent more memory than nearest competitor for greater consolidation and virtualisation –PowerEdge M520: Outstanding platform for mainstream business applications No compromise, enterprise-class high-availability features –First to market with dual Secure Digital (SD) cards for redundant hypervisors –Many RAID options tailored to specific needs –Optional hot plug and swappable power supply units, HDDs and fans in the PowerEdge VRTX chassis Comprehensive, intelligent systems management PowerEdge M620 PowerEdge M520
PowerEdge VRTX shared storage
• • • • • Enables enterprise-class capabilities inside the chassis such as –Live migration in virtualised environments for both Microsoft and VMware ® –High-availability clustering All four server nodes have access to the full storage space –Each server node sees the storage as its own singular storage pool –Virtual disks can be assigned to single server nodes or across server nodes Internal, low latency, fast storage Choice of up to 12 x 3.5-inch or 25 x 2.5-inch HDD Grow as needed with up to 48TB storage capacity inside the chassis
Dell OpenManage systems management
Comprehensive, simple, efficient systems management with Dell OpenManage
™ • • • •
Dell OpenManage Essentials console
Monitor and manage distributed PowerEdge systems wherever they are on the network One console can scale to manage hundreds of servers Easy to install and simple to use Modern user interface with faster responsiveness • •
Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) with Lifecycle Controller
Save time performing systems tasks with agent free lifecycle management of PowerEdge 12 th generation servers which allows your customers to deploy, monitor, update and maintain systems Integration with VMware ® vCenter ™ and Microsoft ® Systems Center for streamlined management in virtual environments
PowerEdge VRTX simplifies systems management
• • • •
Geographic View of distributed PowerEdge VRTX systems Rapid, at-a-glance identification of remote system location and health status via color-coded icons Easy to use and intuitive compared to traditional tree hierarchical view Seamlessly linked to Dell OpenManage Essentials to perform management tasks • • •
Chassis Management Controller (CMC) for PowerEdge VRTX
Reduces complexity by converging management of server nodes, storage, networking and power into a unified tool, presented in a single console Intuitive, easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI) reduces potential for error Consistent with CMC used in the data centre, allowing IT administrators to use what they know and reduce training time Geographic View for VRTX
PowerEdge VRTX simplifies networking and I/O
Integrated networking ports and industry-standard PCI slots reduce costs to fit small business budgets • • •
Eight flexible PCIe slots
Three full-height/full-length PCI slots – Support graphics processing units (GPUs), both single-wide and double-wide Five small form-factor slots Slot management – Base-level Express management supports up to two PCIe second generation slots per server node › Flexible slots are assignable to a dedicated server node on a one-to-one basis – Advanced Enterprise system management licence › Up to four PCIe slots assignable to a specific node • •
I/O (input/output) options
1GbE internal switch module comes standard – Linked to PowerEdge M620 Select Network Adapter and/or PowerEdge M520 I/O modules (IOMs) – Supports aggregation for up to 8Gb bandwidth Optional pass-thru module with eight port 1GbE ports PowerEdge VRTX rear view Up to four hot plug redundant power supply units Eight RJ45 ports Up to four hot plug redundant blowers
PowerEdge VRTX solution scenario: Small legal office
A growing legal practice continues to add new staff and needs a more flexible IT solution that supports the growing practice. Specifically, they need to improve collaboration between associates and clients, improve case reporting and archiving, and ensure confidentiality of client information. •
Problem: Unfulfilled IT goals
Reduce floor space taken by hardware sprawl. • Adopt an IT platform that grows with the business. • Boost system uptime by reducing service provider response time.
• Enhance client service with faster, more reliable access to client data. • Reduce noise. •
Solution: PowerEdge VRTX
IT floor space is reduced, improving appearance and freeing up room for new purposes. • Easy compute and storage scalability is just an insertion away to support business growth.
• Geographic View and Dell OpenManage solutions enable the service provider to detect and resolve issues remotely and quickly, eliminating travel time to the legal office.
• Large, shared internal storage capacity and exceptional performance improve client service, without the cost and complexity of a storage area network (SAN). • Noise levels are reduced, improving staff productivity.
PowerEdge VRTX solution scenario: Regional healthcare organisation
A growing regional practice needs to meet compliance requirements for protecting patient information; increase collaboration for referrals; implement electronic records; and improve care and electronic access for patients. •
Problem: Unfulfilled IT goals
Overcome hardware sprawl as an inhibitor to growth. • Accommodate data explosion due to growing number of patients.
• Control operational expenses by enhancing productivity of small IT support staff.
• Ensure delivery of patient care by reducing system downtime due to the amount of time it takes to detect remote system issues. • Implement server virtualisation to control capital and operational expenses, and enhance system availability.
Solution: PowerEdge VRTX
PowerEdge VRTX scalability helps to avoid the cost of relocating to a larger office with more space. Now business growth is supported, rather than inhibited. • Huge, secure storage capacity inside the box scales with growing patient population without the cost of an external SAN. • A unified systems management solution increases productivity of current IT support staff and avoids cost of hiring new systems administrators. • The OpenManage Geographic View feature enables rapid, at-a-glance detection of remote system problems from the central site. • Pre-tested and certified hardware and hypervisor configurations permit smooth and confident implementation of server virtualisation.
PowerEdge VRTX solution scenario: National retail enterprise
A national retailer needs to standardise their IT infrastructure to reduce costs. Specifically, their challenges include enhancing customer service; driving better supply chain reporting and decision support; security; availability; and significantly reducing the resources required to maintain IT policies. They also need help updating, monitoring and protecting data across hundreds of stores. •
Problem: Unfulfilled IT goals
Improve customer service with faster access to customer records.
• Cost-effectively improve high availability and enhance system uptime in retail outlets. • Standardise, on a single platform, across all sites and headquarters’ data centre, to reduce complexity and costs of disparate hardware. • Reduce potential for error and system downtime caused by different tools to manage retail outlets versus the central data centre. • Enable systems administrators at the central site to more quickly assess remote system health and speed up problem diagnosis. •
Solution: PowerEdge VRTX
Speed up customer service with exceptional compute and storage performance, without the cost of a SAN.
• Live migration inside the chassis reduces downtime while avoiding the complexity and hassle of cabling, powering and managing a SAN. • Standardise and simplify deployment and management with a platform that uses the same server nodes as the data centre.
• CMC for PowerEdge VRTX in remote outlets has consistent look and feel with CMC in the data centre, letting IT administrators use what they know, confidently. • The OpenManage Geographic View feature enables at-a-glance identification of remote system location and health from the central site, boosting uptime at outlets.
PowerEdge VRTX: Making the complex simple
PowerEdge VRTX is a simple and right-sized solution that manages and consolidates business applications in two to three virtualised servers with shared storage, all at an affordable price.
Complex, inefficient and rigid
Simple, efficient and versatile
PowerEdge VRTX systems management: Levels of control
Dell consoles Converged infrastructure management Chassis Management Controller iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller Tools and utilities Integration with third-party consoles Dell services
Single office locations
CMC converges management of servers, storage and networking – Easy to install and low-touch maintenance – Simple to use with fast, modern user interface • • •
CMC complemented by full suite of OpenManage tools including iDRAC7 with Lifecycle Controller Integrated with third-party ecosystems (Microsoft, VMware and BMC software) Remote management of multiple PowerEdge VRTX systems in multiple offices: – OpenManage Essentials monitors and manages PowerEdge VRTX – Geographic View maps PowerEdge VRTX location and health status
PowerEdge VRTX: Tailor configurations to specific needs
Compute and storage integration
5U tower chassis (standalone or rackable) Up to four server nodes, hot plug and it’s serviceable – Includes PowerEdge M520 and PowerEdge M620 blade servers at initial release – Additional PowerEdge M-series servers available in the future • •
12 x 3.5-inch or 25 x 2.5-inch hot plug HDDs Front KVM access; LCD display; USB; Optional DVD-RW • •
Integrated networking — Ethernet
1GbE internal switch module is standard Optional pass-thru module with eight 1GbE ports • •
Flexible, expandable I/O — Eight PCIe slots
Three full height/full length with Dell Wireless card support (225W) Five low profile/half length (75W) •
High availability — Redundant power supply units/fans
1100W AC (1+1, 2+1, 3+1, 2+2) • • • •
Full systems management capabilities
Easy to use Entry-level Express and advanced Enterprise levels of chassis-level management Office-level acoustics and power: 100V – 240V Optional redundant management controller PowerEdge VRTX with four half-height server nodes and 12 3.5-inch HDDs
• • •
Experience greater simplicity
Save space with servers, storage and networking converged into a desk-side chassis Familiar platforms and technologies inside the box Integrated, pre-tested and certified for confident deployment • • •
Realise improved efficiency
Save time and reduce potential for error with unified and simplified systems management Ensure more uptime with high-availability features and live migration Reduce capital and operational expenses with consolidation and virtualisation • • •
Discover greater versatility
Office power profile and desk-side acoustics Extensive scalability within a stable platform Support for future PowerEdge 13 th servers protects IT investment generation • Versatile and scalable • • • • Easy to manage Optimal size, acoustics and power Consolidation, virtualisation capable Affordable