Transcript Flexible Screens
Sean Ouye Sec 08
Samsung Flexible Display
(0:45) • • • • YOUM brand name.
OLED technology Made of plastic • No glass involved The phone will not shatter if dropped.
• Phone can bend back and forth
• The father of E-paper • Gyricon • The ability to display images onto a flexible background and re-use that same material. • • Cost-inefficient Gyricon and E-paper never had much success, but was on the right track.
• Organic Light-Emitting Diode • Similar to LED, but produce more natural light.
• • More energy efficient and smaller.
Can be placed on plastic.
OLED’s and Flexible Screens
OLED’s allow for curved edges.
• More room is available for content.
OLED’s allow for screens to be made of materials other than glass.
• LED’s need a glass support for the backlight. Less efficient than OLED’s.
Comparison of Flexible Screens (OLED's) vs. LCD Screens (LED)
Flex Screens (OLED)
High: Cannot mass produce. Low cost technology isn't available yet. Low: Ability to mass produce.
LCD Screens (LED)
Durability Weight Speed Applications Durable: Mostly made of plastic. More susceptible to water though.
Lighter: Potential to be just a thin sheet of plastic.
Faster: More responsive to touch.
Fragile: Screen is made of glass and will shatter Heavier: Requires glass and more support layers.
Slower: Older technology Unlimited: Can be applied to curved or round services.
Limited: Requires a flat, straight surface.
• Technology isn’t good enough to produce a finished product.
• • • Melting problems Materials are expensive Materials are hard to find and develop • Need to create a demand
• LG • Nokia • Toshiba • Sony • Samsung
Vision of the Near Future
• • •
Flexible screens benefit more than just phone technology.
Might become an essential part in our everyday lives.
OLED’s can be placed anywhere!
• Buildings • • • Pillars Car windshields Clothes
• • • • • • • • • Cashmore, Peter. "Why Your next Phone Might Be Bendable." CNN. Turner Broacasting System, Inc., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Genuth, Iddo. "The Future of Electronic Paper." The Future of Electronic Paper. The Future of Things, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Grose, Thomas K. "OLEDs: The Light Idea." Time. Time, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Nikamahjan. "OLED Advantages and Disadvantages." OLED Advantages and Disadvantages. Expertscolumn, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
OLED-Info. "Flexible OLED Displays." Flexible OLED Displays. Metalgrass Software, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Skillings, Joanthan. "Samsung Shows off Youm Flexible Display." CNET. CBS Interactive, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Swartz, Jon. "Flexible Displays Bend What's Possible for Computers." USATODAY.COM. A Garnett Company, 2012. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.
Wagstaff, Jeremy. "Are Flexible Screens the Wave of the Future?" MSN. Microsoft, 2013. Web. 14 Apr. 2013.
Wasserman, Todd. "Microsoft Sketches Its Vision for the Near Future." Mashable. Livefyre, 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.