• A predator is an animal that feeds on other
animals in order to survive.
• Some examples would be bears, coyotes,
• Some predators can also be prey as well, like
sometimes lions eat other lions
• Most of the time predators herbivore
• Prey are the animals eaten to keep other
• More often then not the animals eaten are
• Some examples of prey are bunnies, mice, and
Autotrophs v. Heterotrophs
– Produce food from the
– Must eat other things
(living or non living) for
• Animals that eat meat, mostly other animals
that are smaller than they are or less fierce.
• Some examples of carnivores
– Praying mantis
• Herbivores are animals that eat plants and
greens such as leaves and grass.
• When herbivores eat it is usually called
• An example of an herbivore would be a rabbit
• An omnivore is an animal that eats plants and
• An example of an omnivore would be a bear
because a bear eats berries and fish.
• The food chain is the order in which the
animals eat or are eaten.
FOOD CHAINS AND FOOD WEBS - illustrate
the flow of energy in an ecosystem
*Note the direction of the arrows: they indicate where the energy is going when
one organism consumes another
Each step in a
chain or web is
called a TROPHIC
Find the Omnivore
– Two sets of leaves
• Primary consumer
– Mouse, cricket, rabbit, squirrel
• Secondary consumer
– Fox, mouse, frog, snake
• Tertiary consumer
– Fox, owl, snake
Pyramid of Numbers
• Mammals (formally Mammalia) are a class of
vertebrate, air-breathing animals whose
females are characterized by the possession of
mammary glands while both males and
females are characterized by hair and/or fur,
three middle ear bones used in hearing, and a
neocortex region in the brain. Some mammals
have sweat glands, but most do not. Give birth
to live young.
• Pose a threat to go extinct.
• Some endangered animals are
– Gray wolf, Mexican bobcat, West Indian Manatee,
and the jaguar.
• No longer in existence.
• Some animals that are extinct are
– Barbados Raccoon, Bulldog rat, and Dark flying
Why animals go extinct or become
Loss of habitat
Low food source
Not enough room to live
Killed of by other animals
Major causes of habitat loss in Pa.
Trawling- when boats use nets to catch fish.
Urban sprawl- when cities get bigger
How we can help.
Turn off lights when not in use.
Use energy saving light bulbs.
Reuse unbleached recycled paper.
• Usually related to the food they eat
– Muscular system