GUP2013-guideline (as an important reference) - K
Transcript GUP2013-guideline (as an important reference) - K
RESEARCH UNIVERSITY GRANT
RESEARCH MANAGEMENT CENTRE (RMC)
UNIVERSITI TEKNOLOGI MALAYSIA
The main purpose of these grants
were to generate new knowledge
in science and technology. The
knowledge gained can help to
develop new products or processes
required for the development and
It also aims to strengthen research
capacity and expertise of the
Criteria of the Research University
The quantity of
Quality of PostGraduate
Field of Research (FOR)
Natural Sciences, Technologies and
• Mathematical Sciences
• Physical Sciences
• Chemical Sciences
• Earth Sciences
• Information, Computer and
Communication Technology (ICT)
• Applied Sciences and Technologies
• Engineering Sciences
• Biological Sciences
• Agricultural Sciences
• Medical and Health Sciences
• Environmental Sciences
• Material Sciences
• Marine Sciences
• Forestry Sciences
• Non-oriented Natural Sciences,
Technologies and Engineering Research
Social Sciences, Humanities & Business
/ Economic & Administration
• Social Sciences
• Economics, Business and
Socio-Economic Objective (SEO)
Defence & Security
• Plant Production and
Plant Primary Products
• Animal Production and
Animal Primary Products
• Mineral Resources
• Energy Resources
• Information and
• Commercial Services
• Economic Framework
• Natural Resources
• Forest Production and
• Education and Training
• Social Development and
• Arts, Culture and
• Religion and Ethics
• Social Problems
Socio-Economic Objective (SEO)
• Natural Sciences,
• Social Sciences and
TYPE OF GRANTS
• Applicant must be a staff of UTM (citizen / non-citizens). Contract staff
(citizen / non-citizens), at least one member must be a permanent UTM
staff and Malaysian.
• Staff who is on study leave and tutor are not eligible to apply GUP.
• Project Leader on study leave, university transfer or end of service
during her tenure as the Project Leader shall discharge the position by
other researchers of the research team with acknowledgement of
related Research Alliance (RA). Information on exchange project leader
or the addition of new researchers must be notified in writing to the
RMC for approval.
• The amount of fund requested must not exceed the ceiling for a grant.
• New application for programs / projects will be considered by
submitting evidence of completion of the program / project
previously GUP at a rate of 75% and the achievement of KAI for the
project. Programs / projects will be activated only after the final
report is received for the program / project earlier GUP.
• Academic staff may submit one (1) application only either research
projects Tier 1 or Tier 2.
• GUP can be applied by researchers who do not have an active grant
if the researchers have sent research grant applications to external
sponsors (MOSTI, MOHE, etc.) within 6 months before applying for
a GUP or have other full proposal.
• Project leader with a local or international grants which are still
active are eligible to apply GUP which the research project comply
with existing research and development regulation & progress of
the project is satisfying.
Project leader who does not submit a final report of research projects that
have expired are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply GUP.
Academic staff who choose option 70% Research and 30% Teaching will be
Application for an extension period (not exceeding 6 months) for all types of
grants are only allowed ONE (1) time during the period of the research project.
Approved Project Leader of GUP are required to sign a Project Leader
Declaration and sent in hardcopy to the RMC for the purpose of activation the
Total allocation distributed are based on the performance of research project.
The next distribution will only be made after performance expenses exceed
• The research results will be intellectual Property (IP) of the University.
• Appointment GRA or RSG and RO / ARO / RA is only for Malaysian citizens.
• All applications must be submitted to the Research Alliance (RA) for
• KAI for each RM50K provision of the GUP to the Project Leader is 1.0IF and
revenue of Matching Grant from external grants (either a grant from the
MOHE, MOSTI, Contract or Others) is equivalent to the value of RM50K.
• Research Alliance have to ensure that all applications comply with the
general and specific conditions as specified in the guidelines GUP.
• RMC reserves the right to reject applications that do
not meet these requirements or incomplete.
• Applications submitted to the Secretariat GUP in RMC
after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Priority will be given to the PL that has reached 100%
KAI 2011 for GUP grants and those who can help
defend RU for UTM in 2014.
• For the PL with no previous GUP can still apply based
on the eligibility QUALIFIER EXCEL as in 2011.
• The maximum provisions that will be approved for
each R & D proposal is not exceeding RM 200,000.00.
• The duration of research project does not exceed 24
• Minimum of 2 members are academic staff does not
include the Project Leader.
• Tier 1 Research Project Applicants must have
contributed at least an average KPI RU 0.15 mark of
the past 3 years.
• The maximum allocation for each application of this
research project is not more than RM 50, 000.00.
• The minimum number of membership in this
research project is one (1) academic staff does not
include the Project Leader.
• The research project duration does not exceed 12
• Special consideration will be given to academic
administrators to apply for this grant.
• An approved application by the Central Committee for the
Technical Evaluation will go through the management and
monitoring of projects to ensure that the research project
objectives achieved as prescribed.
• For each project, the PL is responsible for ensuring and
implementing the following:
– The activities project is on schedule
– Allocation received is spent in accordance with the approved
– Submit progress reports every six months to the RA and RMC
– Submit a Project Closure Report within 3 months after end of
– Submit a extension application of the project if necessary to
RMC 3 months before the project is expired
– Research Group members are responsible in achieving the
REGULATION OF FINANCIAL
• Appointment of RO / ARO / RA (or Assistant Research Officer)
• Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
• Student Work Scheme (SPB)
• Overseas travel is only allowed to PL and Members of the Research Group
• Research Assistant for domestic travel only
• Travel abroad to attend conference/ work / seminar / workshop / colloquium
• Total travel expenses shall not exceed RM 30,000 or 20% of the total project
whichever is less
• Rental of buildings, equipment, transport and materials for the project
Vote 28 000
equipment / assets)
• B26000- Raw materials and spare parts (eg: spare part, diesel,
• B27000- supplies and other materials (eg: office equipment,
• Small repairs of equipment / other items related
• Small renovation of laboratories and buildings
• Cost of maintenance of existing equipment for use in projects
• The cost of printing, hospitality, honorarium, professional
services, consultancy, computer, data processing
• Other services related to the project
• Purchase of special equipment and accessories (including
enhance capabilities of existing equipment / upgrades)
• B35000- Asset (RM 3,000 and above)
• B36000- Inventory (<RM 3,000)