Transcript Google Forms Scripts
Geek out with Google Forms & Scripts!
Katie Plunkett & Maria Lewis
Charlottesville City Schools December 2012 http://goo.gl/MAhNU
Edmodo code: 1nbivb
What are google forms? • How can they help you in the classroom? • Examples of a variety of different forms • What is a script? • Useful resources
What are Google forms?
Using forms in your school:
• Teachers: o classroom activities, data collection, assessments • Administrators: o Data collection, Observations, Discipline forms, Anecdotal notes • Guidance Counselors: o Data collection, completing weekly/daily forms
Creating a form:
1. Log in to your Google account & go to Google Drive. 2. Click on the Create button and choose form from the list.
3. Give your form a name and begin adding questions. 4. The form has two views: edit mode & spreadsheet mode. http://goo.gl/L5Jtk *Template gallery: http://goo.gl/Cu53D
Here are some examples:
• Classroom examples: o o Parent Contact form: http://goo.gl/ZhGmG States and capitals quiz: http://goo.gl/L5Jtk • Staff examples: o Technology survey o http://goo.gl/26ejg Google Ninja Program: http://goo.gl/JSARJ
First Day of School activity:
• Use as a way to get to know your students • Find out interests and ways they enjoy learning http://goo.gl/JHqRy
Collect data for students to use:
• • • Data collection for Science or Math projects Collect information for your class and use in word problems Find out what your students are reading http://goo.gl/74n3O
• • •
Student response: Showing a video:
Use during or after a video Students take notes and provide feedback for the teacher after class. http://goo.gl/ddEqX
Data collection: Guided reading group
• • Easy way to collect data during or after guided reading Simple record to use to refer to later http://goo.gl/egLbI
Pre-assessment for a unit:
• • Find out what students know Use data to create research groups http://goo.gl/5Zjv1
Book Review & online reading record :
• • • Find out what students are reading Have a log to share with students and parents Add short answer or discussion questions to the form http://goo.gl/ADfXr
(group & lesson)
• • • Lesson Review: o Gain feedback from students on a lesson. http://goo.gl/fw784 Group Assessments: o Have students grade themselves & their peers. http://goo.gl/kwUrS Exit Ticket: o Simple assessment for students on a daily basis. http://goo.gl/PdyKk
Homework & Attendance Check:
• Daily form to check homework, attendance, take daily grades http://goo.gl/lMgUj • After school program-Data collection http://goo.gl/BKP9L
Classroom Examples: Administrators:
• Observation Form: http://goo.gl/pKvwm • Discipline records: http://goo.gl/ENlM0
Google Flip Packs
• Uses Google presentations and forms to share information and see what students know. http://goo.gl/bGEqH
• Collect data & information from parents when they come to school.
o PTO meetings o o Back to School night Content evenings (Math Night or Science Night) http://goo.gl/Bsbpr
Ideas for using forms & templates:
• Ideas for using forms: o o Tom Barrett's: 85 ways to use Google Forms http://goo.gl/IipvG Colette Cassinelli: Google Certified Teacher http://goo.gl/jPiBT • Google Template gallery: o http://goo.gl/Cu53D
What is a script?
• Scripts are a short code that you can include in Google apps that allows you to customize the google tools to work for you. • All done from within Google.
Flubaroo: Quick & instant feedback
• • • • Script that will grade assessments quickly Teachers and students like gaining feedback quickly Use for formal & informal assessments: o o o o Exit tickets Check for understanding Quick feedback tool & access to data Quiz/Tests Helpful video: o http://goo.gl/Pzwsr
• CCS Google Ninja Program: o Staff professional development program used with quizzes for November PD. o o Teachers worked through training materials and then took short quizzes. Flubaroo script was used to grade assessments. • Try it out now!
Written by an educator for educators, the free doctopus script gives teachers the ability to auto generate, pre-share, and manage grading and feedback on templated Docs for group and individual projects.
Start by creating a Google spreadsheet with student names and emails. http://www.youpd.org/doctopus
formMule (aka "The Mule")
• An automatic calendar booking system • Users add events/information to the system, notifies the manager and invites the requester to the event • Used by schools for facilities management, parent teacher conferences, equipment reservations, and discipline tracking.
• • Overwhelmed by email Desiring a way to prioritize messages http://www.googleappscentral.com/blo g/2011/07/what-is-gmail-snooze and-how-to-use-it/ • Another option: Pause it!
Save Gmail Attachment Directly into Google Drive
• • • • • Intro to Google Apps Scripts: o http://goo.gl/iojuq Google Script Developers tutorials: o http://goo.gl/lZxwX Google Education OnAir Hangouts: o http://goo.gl/HHWxz Google Apps YouTube channel: o http://goo.gl/IezAa Google Docs YouTube channel: o http://goo.gl/IbboL
More useful resources:
• • • edCode.org: o Open source development for educators--created by the maker of Flubaroo http://www.edcode.org/ youpd: o Great site with resources for online professional development and blended learning. http://www.youpd.org/ Phillip Martin Clip Art: o http://www.phillipmartin.info/clipart/homepage.htm
Feel free to contact us with questions:
• Katie Plunkett, ITRT o [email protected]
• Maria Lewis, Coordinator of Tech Integration o [email protected]