Transcript Environment Update - E
John Rintoul Environmental Issues Manager
Oil & Gas UK
The representative body for the offshore oil and gas exploration and production industry within the United Kingdom
• • • • Just under 400 member companies Large integrated oil and gas companies Independent E&P operators Large contractors SME contractors
Member’s Primary Business
Oil & Gas UK Strategic Objectives
Maximise recovery from the UKCS
Sustainable long term future for the UK Supply Chain
Raise positive profile and reputation of the industry
O&G UK Directorates
Communications & Events
Health & Safety Economics
Oil & Gas UK Environment Directorate
What do we do?
• Keep up to date with National and International environmental legislation • Respond to consultations on behalf of the industry.
• • Work with the regulators to determine the best way of implementing new (and existing) regulations offshore Ensure that Oil & Gas UK members are kept informed of potential implications.
Who do we engage with??
External Policy &Work Group Regulators Advisor's to Regulators Environment Directorate eNGO’s External Associations
But most importantly Environment Forum
Fora and Work Groups
Oil Spill Response Forum
What does the Environment Forum do?
• Ensure effective management of environmental issues through the input of specialist knowledge and operational experience.
• Enhance engagement of all member company specialists.
• Improve the speed of response to new issues and to enable more effective lobbying.
Environmental Forum – Work Groups
Oil Based Mud Cuttings
MODU Drainage Water Drilling Fluids Waste
EU ETS Atmospheric Emissions Radiological Issues
• • •
– Provide industry response to regulatory consultations.
– Attending to ensure positive industry profile – Ensuring that the industry has input if required.
– Attending regular meetings with the main regulators and advisors to the regulators, DECC, Marine Scotland, Scottish Government, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, MMO etc.
Produced Water Risk Based Approach
Implementation of the RBA - UKCS
Working Closely with DECC
– Pulled together an Industry Work Group to discuss the implementation offshore.
– Need to undertake toxicity testing.
– Need to undertake modelling of the discharge •
When is it starting
– Next year, nine tranches – 11 platforms per tranche.
EU Directive Safety of Offshore Oil & Gas Operations (12
EU Safety (and Environment) Directive
• • • • • Needs to be implemented by mid 2015 Early stages at present and concentrating on Annex IX – “Sharing of Information & Transparency”.
From environmental aspect we need to influence /determine: – “A major environmental incident” – “Failure of a Safety and Environmental Critical Element” – “Unintended release of oil” Work groups set-up to work with HS&E and DECC to work the implementation.
Ensure that there are no unexpected consequences.
Oil Spill Response Forum
OPEP WG Oil Spill Response Forum Environmental Sensitivities Oil Spill Treatment Options
Environmental Sensitivities WG
Oil Waste Management