Transcript Chen_Ya_Ning_FRBRoo Based Metadata Description and
FRBRoo Based Metadata Description and Integration for Art Collections An Ontology Approach
Presenter: Ya-Ning Chen Ya-Ning Chen 1 & Hao-Ren Ke 2 1 Computing Center, Academia Sinica 2 Graduate Institute of Library & Information Studies, National Taiwan Normal University
• • • • • • Background –
rogram, 2008-2012, prior project:
) – Heterogeneous metadata description and integration Proposed Approach Use Case Evaluation Discussion Conclusion
Development in Taiwan
An island with multi-culture and a myriad of creatures
Land: 36K km 2
A melting pot of multiple cultures, including: - Chinese (Holoh, Hakka…) - 20+ indigenous tribes - Immigrants from Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand…
Home to more than 46,000 species of flora and fauna
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • Anthropology Archaeology Architecture Archive Artifact Audio & Video Botany Calligraphy & Painting Chinese Classics Geology Journalism & Mass Media Language Map & Remote Sensing Rare Book Rubbing Zoology 5
PLATFORM : Union Catalog
http://catalog.digitalarchives.tw/ • The Union Catalog of TELDAP contains millions of digital objects from local & overseas content holders.
Metadata: 5,152,805 Images: 4,012,959 Multimedia: 48,597 6
Heterogeneous Metadata Integration
• • • An interoperability issue Diversity – Various communities , including archives, libraries, museums and herbariums.
– Various metadata formats and their records , such as CDWA, EAD, DC(Dublin Core), MARC, and so on.
Current approach – DC-based mapping or crosswalk – Semantic relations embedded in metadata elements are ignored and lost during mapping.
• • • • • Inter lingua: FRBRoo Path-based mapping between metadata elements and FRBRoo (Kondylakis et al., 2006) – Semantic crosswalk – Semantic relations – Core classes and properties Tools: TopBraid Use Case – The collections of Hwa Kang Museum (HKM) of Chinese Cultural University.
– The collections of Chinese Antiquities at the National Palace Museum (NPM) Question Answering (QA) based Evaluation
• FRBR: Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records.
• FRBR is a conceptual model for bibliographic records for literary and artistic works released by IFLA(International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions) in 1998.
• FRBR can be also regarded as an ontology for bibliographic universe for libraries.
odel for museums released by International Committee for Documentation of the ICOM(International Council of Museums) in 1999.
• In 2006 CIDOC CRM was completed with its acceptance as the ISO 21127 standard.
FRBR From ER model to OO Model Align together CIDOC CRM
Multi spectral images
Dublin Core CDWA
TELDAP Union Catalog
Converted from CDWA into DC
A: Metadata and DL system
Has participated in
Original Item A
Is part of
Original Item B
Is a topic of
Event An international Exhibition
Is described by
B: Metadata and DL system Published Journal Article The National Palace Museum Monthly of Chinese Art
Target Path Target Domain Target Range Source Domain Source Range Source Path Target Path FRBRoo Entity Metadata Element FRBRoo Entity Metadata Element Source Path
Museum’s Object E77 Persistent Item E39 Actor E21 Person E14 Group
• • •
/E77 Persistent Item/E39 Actor /E77 Persistent Item/E39 Actor/E 21 Person /E77 Persistent Item/E39 Actor/E 14 Group DC’s Creator or Contributor
F27 Work Conception Literary Work-Library
P14 carried out by(performed)
E39 Actor E21 Person E14 Group
/F27 Work Conception/P14 by(performed)/E39 Actor carried out DC’s Creator or Contributor
FRBRoo of TopBraid
• An artifact of museum has transferred the right from creator to museum through an acquisition event and has various formats of digital images.
Right creator Right owner Acquisition Event
Various digital formats for the same original item.
• Discover a museum’s involved in artifact that has been an international exhibition held in Germany and selected as a journal article .
topic in a published
Grid trellis of Round Treasure Box with Indian Lotus Décor (Ch’ing dynasty, Chinese: 清 竹絲纏枝番蓮圓盒多寶格 )
• • One-to-one principle – A shared classes and properties of FRBRoo – Semantic relationships and queries Ontology-based alignment library’s literary works of heterogeneous metadata integration for museum’s objects and – Keep two different documentation approaches intact and parallel – Align rather than to change one approach and its metadata to fit the other
• • • • • FRBRoo: an
(i.e., a shared ontology) Explicit semantic relationships embedded in metadata elements Transform human-understandable metadata into machine - readable and understandable representation with RDF’s expression Semantic query A shift toward the semantic web