Group 4 Project Presentation
Transcript Group 4 Project Presentation
Group 4 Project
Dogan, Jin di, Pan Xiaoyue,
Yang li and Pradeep
What’s good and not good
• Information About The Group
• Project Idea
• A social web site for foreign people in
Homepage space offered by the university
Drake CMS tool is used to generate the web
Gladius Flat Database
Communication and Culture
Support for the Tools
Uploading the web site
• Communication Problem
Chinese English, Indian English and Turkish
• Background and skill difference among
• Unstable version of the tool
Open Source and Free
• Being PM is not easy
Hard to assign equal amount of work
Group members demands every detail to be
• Democracy is a good thing but
Too much democracy means chaos, PM
needs to be fascist.
Lessons Learned (Cont.)
• Never make important decisions before
detailed analysis of your resources.
• Fix as many things as possible at the
• Regular project management techniques
may not fit.
Lessons Learned (Cont 2)
• Using open source and free tools
• # of Members (5) = x+y.
(x) people always work more than (y) people.
• Hard to synchronize between five people.
If we had started it today
• Decide the topic and tools to use earlier
and be more decisive in the beginning
• Use the stable version of the tool and test
the tool more before using it
• Start writing the report sooner
• Make major decisions and assign tasks on
• Everyone signs on the agenda
• Share agenda and other documents on
google document and yahoo group.
Goals of our project
• Build a website
• Learn about project management
• Learn from each other.
Build a website
• Start the project by discussing the topic
and tools to use for the project.
• Aim is to create a web site about social life
for foreigners in Uppsala
• Switch original ideas to Drake CMS
(Content Management System) to meet
Learn about project management
• “Series of actions to achieve a result”
• Project organization
Communicati on manager
• Concepts about project
Learn from each other
• Learn from other members with different
backgrounds from different countries.
• Learn from others who master different skills and
the way of thinking.
• Experience working in a multi-culture
What was good
• Different culture, different background
• Give suggestion actively despite of the
• Support the decision PM finally made
• Communicate through email and share
document through Google doc
what did not work well
• Language barrier is the biggest problem
• Google doc help manage document,
sometimes not work well
• Different background has different view
• Distribution – time diagram
• Time diagram – all members
• Working schedule of a member
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 1