National & State - Conservation Districts of Iowa
Transcript National & State - Conservation Districts of Iowa
Iowa NRCS Report
New State Conservationist Jay T.
• North Dakota Native.
• NRCS experience in North Dakota,
Wyoming, Delaware and most recently
Connecticut. Including former RC&D
• Range and wildlife management
• Continuing resolution until March 27
• Sequestration—Sec. Vilsack announced a
$2 billion across the board cut for USDA
during FY 2013..
• We have prepared for worst and are
hoping for best.
• Did affect our ability to commit to partners
at previous levels.
Farm Bill XIII Agreement
• Still able to fund agreement with CDI for
Farm Bill implementation.
• Signed agreement for $300,000, with
hopes we can increase depending on
results of sequestration and CRP
• Implementation of the Conservation
Delivery Streamline Initiative (CDSI) has
been delayed until at least October 2014.
• CDSI includes three main parts:
conservation desktop, client gateway and
mobile planner. Each part of CDSI should
be fully operational by Fall 2015.
New Farm Bill
• Old Farm Bill was extended for one year.
Set to expire on September 30, 2013.
• Program acreage limits (i.e. CSP, CRP,
GRP) were not increased and are limited
to old Farm Bill.
• New Farm Bill is under construction--again.
FY13 Special Funding
• Mississippi River Healthy Watersheds
• Driftless Area Initiative
• National Water Quality Initiative
• Greenhouse Gas Initiative
• Grass Fed Beef Initiative
• Conservation Innovation Grants
(National & State)
• National campaign “Unlock the Secrets in the
Soil” launched in October.
• Iowa gearing up for state-wide training for
employees, customer outreach, workshops,
additional field office tools (test kits,
• New, energized emphasis on soil health:
improved crop performance, reduced input
costs, better water infiltration (less erosion
and flooding and better drought resistance.)
Soil Health in a Minute Videos
• Access Soil Health Videos at
MRBI At-A-Glance (FY 10,11,12)
Programs At-A-Glance FY 2012
FY12 Backlog At-A-Glance
Iowa NRCS FY 2013 Priorities
Technical, accountable people serving the
On Farm Conservation Planning with Producers
Proper Contract Management
Promote Partnerships and Teamwork
Building New Customer Relationships