8.02 and 8.03 - Florida Virtual School
Transcript 8.02 and 8.03 - Florida Virtual School
8.02 Live Lesson
The Mongols and Marco Polo!
Geography and the Mongols
• Mongolia originally
located in the Gobi
Desert- very cold
• 4000 ft above sea
level on a plateau (flat
area of land)
• The land got bigger
and bigger over time.
Nomadic Life before the Empire
• The Mongols were originally split up into
different tribes and moved around and fought
each other A LOT!
• They traded with the Chinese and Persians
• Were cattle and sheep herders
• Because of their fighting the Chinese decided
to build the GWOC-Great Wall of China
• Originally named Termujin but
changed his name to Genghis
Khan it means “universal ruler.”
• He was a ruthless and skilled ruler
– Made alliances and took tribute
(bribes) with the tribes to unite
them and anyone who wouldn’t be
his ally he ___________!
– He used trebuchets to throw
gunpowder bombs and attack
fortresses and the siege strategy.
Genghis Khan’s Accomplishments
• Created laws called yassa
• Helped peasants and soldiers and rewarded
hardwork and loyalty instead of giving
positions based on favoritism
• Tolerated other religions
• Laws protecting animal hunting and selling
women into slavery.
• Created different states called Khanates
• Genghis Khan’s grandson
• Created the largest area for
the Yuan /Mongol Empire
• Made paper $ popular- no
more heavy coins!
• Built canals, better sea
travel system, created 4
classes in society.
Kublai Khan cont’d
• Created a Mongol alphabet
• Increased trade on the Silk
• Made many Chinese mad
– Gave jobs to Europeans
instead of Chinese
– Didn’t accept many parts of
Chinese culture, changed it to
Kublai Khan Social Structure
• Had the most privileges
• Could work in government
• Shared the most
privileges with the
• Had some
• Couldn’t be a
part of the
• Famous Italian traveler who
went to China when he was
• Wrote about his journey,
traveled the Silk Roads, and
even lived with Kublai Khan!
• Credited with connecting
many Chinese cultural items
How were Kublai Khan and his
grandfather Genghis similar and
Downfall of the Mongols
• Many reasons led to the fall of the Mongols!
They were great fighters but bad leaders!
They expanded their empire too much and too quickly
They made the native Chinese very angry
They had a corrupt government
Many of their population were killed due to the black
plague illness (many Europeans were afraid to travel
to China for fear of getting sick!) so trade declined as
– They were conquered by the Red Turbans
1. You get to travel back in time to interview one of the
following: Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, or Marco Polo
2. Create four questions or use the four questions in the
template to ask your interviewee
3. Answer the four questions based on the facts and
information you’ve learned in the module. *no
simple questions that could be answered with a
“yes” or “no” answer.
4. Make sure you answer the questions in first person
(for example, “I’m Termujin, but I changed my name
to Genghis Khan…”)
5. Check your interview for Purpose and Audience with
a teacher, parent, or guardian!
6. Submit your completed interview to the 8.02
assignment in the gradebook!
• Who are you? I am Kublai Khan, the son of
Tolui and grandson of Genghis Khan. I
ruled during the Yuan dynasty of Ancient
Chinese after my uncle Ogedei took over
after Genghis Khan’s death.
• You see…details…from the module AND in