Transcript November 17th
BR: Read for 15 minutes and
record the summary in your
• On your own piece of paper, write the
five components of a complete sentence.
• Next, write out the formulas for simple
sentences and compound sentences.
• An Independent clause joined by one or
• Usually contains one or more of the
• Because… since… after…. Although
• If the sentence begins with the dependent
clause, it MUST have a comma at the end of
• 2 formulas
• When he handed in his homework, he
forgot to put his name on it.
• The students are studying because they
have a test tomorrow.
• The book that I read is on my desk.
Dependent Clause, Independent clause.
– Because he was tired, he went to bed early.
– When he woke up, he felt much better.
– After he went for a run, he ate breakfast.
Independent Clause Dependent clause.
– They went to dinner after they went to the
– He played with the dog because it was fun.
– He went home early since there was no more
work to be done.
• Write 3 examples of your own for each
MAKE IT STICK
• Write a story about your most memorable
Thanksgiving holiday. What made it
interesting/memorable? INCLUDE DETAILS!
– Make sure to include at least one sentence
for each formula!
• SV, SSV, SVV, SSVV
• I,cI and I;I
• D,I and ID
• When you are finished, label each sentence
with it’s formula!