Transcript Slide 1
June 23, 2011
Indian Economy & US Trade
• India is world’s 2nd largest country by population and 4th largest economy by GDP.
• Container traffic is growing at 2.6x multiple of GDP.
• GDP Growth at 8.1% in 2010; 8.75% in 2011
• USA is India’s 3rd Largest Trading partner.
• Bilateral Trade between the two countries reached a record of USD50 Billion
between January-December 2010 which is an increase of 29.64% over 2009.
• Between January and December 2010, India’s Export to US stood at $ 29.53 billion
as against 21.17 billion for same period in 2009 thus showing an increase of
• Meanwhile, US Exports of merchandise goods to India grew by 16.91 % from $
16.44 billion to 19.22 billion during the corresponding period in 2010.
Real GDP Growth % change y-o-y
Source : BMI
Major Indian Sourcing Areas
Leather / Footwear
Pune / Chemicals/
Auto / Food
Diamonds and Gems
1. woolen knitwear
bicycles & bicycle
printing, / Yarn
granite & marble
Port Development - INDIA
Imp/Exp Cntr Volume in LSA/LGB
Market Share Trend (US Imports)
Market Share Trend (US Exports)
Commodity Composition (Market)