Living with Exadata
Transcript Living with Exadata
Living with Exadata
Shaun Dewberry, OS Administrator, RDC
Tom de Jongh van Arkel, Database Administrator, RDC
Komaran Hansragh, Data Warehouse Manager, Telkom
Operational and user experiences and tasks unique to Exadata
Shaun – Hardware, OS, Exadata Storage Server
Tom – Grid Infrastructure and Database
Komaran – ETL, Reporting
Compute node – The nodes where the databases run. 4 Per system.
Cell node – The storage nodes where the Exadata Storage Server Software run. 7
Per system + 4 Storage Expansion = 11 per system
• Initially acquired two X2-2 Exadata half racks but licensed
quarter racks – 7TB usable space.
• Only 10% of the processing resources used but filling up the
disk space quickly.
• Licensed the extra quarter rack – extra 7TB.
• Acquired X3 quarter rack storage expansions – extra 44TB
• Enhanced backup infrastructure
Getting to square 1
Steps taken before storage expansion commissioning:
• Patch level prerequisite
• Oracle appoints an installation coordinator
• Complete a logistics template
• Complete the Exadata deployment assistant >
• Oracle South Africa does a site inspection (space,
• Oracle South Africa does hardware delivery and
• Oracle international does software installation
Patching involves the entire system. Seven phase approach:
• Unravelling the patch instructions (which changes every
• Infiniband Switches
• Additional components (Switches, KVM, PDU)
• Exadata Storage Server
• OS and firmware patches for database nodes
• Grid Infrastructure
Quarterly Full Stack Downloads
Hybrid Columnar Compression
• Hybrid Columnar Compression is optimized to use both database and
storage capabilities on Exadata to deliver tremendous space savings and
• Warehouse Compression Low and High are meant to achieve a lower
compression ratio but offer better performance.
ALTER TABLE MYTABLE COMPRESS FOR QUERY [ LOW |
• Archive Compression Low and High offers maximum space saving with
higher performance costs.
ALTER TABLE MYTABLE COMPRESS FOR ARCHIVE[ LOW |
• Real world compression ratio of 78% achieved for Warehouse Low and up
to 88% for Query High.
• Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Release 4
Hardware failures. Automatic Service Requests.
Learning curve for system administrators
Not a black box
Cost / limitations of scaling
• Exponential performance increase
• Specialised team for Oracle support
• Increase data retention with Hybrid Columnar
• Combine enterprise and commodity hardware
• Infiniband internal network
• DB Nodes are standard OEL (unbreakable kernel)
• Massively parallel architecture eliminates single points of
• Fast PCI Flash Cache cards
• Tested software and hardware compatibility
• Pre-tuned for high performance
Data Warehouse Specialist / Manager
The Telkom Data Warehouse landscape consists of a Fixed-Line and a Mobile Data
Data Warehouse landscape consists of Historical and Near Real Time Data
• Revenue data for 7 years
• All other data for 5 years
• Near Real Time Data
• 10 minutes for selected information
Total number of Resources in the Data Warehouse
• Order Management
• Customer Management
• Financial Management
• Service Management
• Network Management
• Fault Management
• Incident Management
• Hardware - Half Rack EXADATA Environment
• Software - Oracle 11g Release 2 (11.2)
• Data Integration - ABINITIO
• Metadata – ABINITIO
• Presentation Layer – SAP Business Objects
• Analytics - SAS
• Replacement of the fixed line Data Warehouse environment with an Oracle
• Process started on the 5th of March 2014 and end 30th of September 2014 with
17 DW resources working on the project.
• The new DW database design on EXADATA enables a single version of the truth
combining Fixed line and Mobile data.
• Fix Line and Mobile Data Warehouse on a single environment
• Low Time-To-Market
• Low Time-To-Insights
• Flexible architecture
• Enable analytics and BI self service
• Established Data Sets and Data Marts for all Business Unit
• Sunset legacy data warehouse environments throughout Telkom.
Single version of the truth
• Increasing Productivity
DW daily scheduled jobs completed successfully before 3:30am.
Measure – divide the number of daily successfully completed jobs by the total number of jobs
listed in the scheduled process log table (as a percentage), the monthly average is green if >
95%, yellow if > 84%, red < 85%
• DW has increased its time to deliver performance by 75%
Start Small and Grow
With Exadata you purchase what you require and as your Business grows you
grow your Data Warehouse Environment.
Questions & Answers