HOW TO ORGANISE A EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP by Prof
HOW TO ORGANISE A EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP by Prof
A EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP
Prof Mahasweta Bose
• There are various methods used in teaching
learning process workshop method is to pass
on knowledge of systemic approach to
educational problem to their peer group by
means of a short workshop.
• Helps participant to understand , to achieve
skill and develop attitude.
Methods of Workshop
It is problem oriented.
It is reflective teaching and learning approach.
Short duration .
Active participation by the participants.
Organization of workshop.
Can be divided in three phases
• 6 months before the workshop held.
• Selection of the coordinator.
• Selection of the topic
Recommended by the institution.
Recommended by the Govt,.
From research studies.
Selection by the participants
• Holding meetting with expert group.
• Sending questionaire to the participant to
assess the learning need and knowledge on
Estimation of Budget
• Search for the financial resourse
• Sponsorer my be
• Own institution.
• International Agency.
• Cost for the TA for the participants and
• Cost for the working lunch.
• Cost for the stay and food in the hotel.
• For hiring projected and non projected aids.
• Remuneration for resource person.
• Secretarial assistance.
80% of the budget should be for participants
20% for other expenses.
Workshop design (preferably 20% on theory
and 80% on workbase,)
• Preparation of teaching material.
• Sending teaching material for reliability and
validity to selected committee.
Assessment of workshop participants.
Preferably homogenous group.
Identify Target group.
No of participants (ideally 25-30)
Know educational level and experience
Ability to implement in the work place.
Period to remain full time for the specified
• Period to stay with the organisation.
Fixing up the timing
• Best time when the students are on leave.
• Avoid examination time
• Avoid festival days.
Selection of the venue
• For full time workshop.
• Advertise for the venue or call quatation.
• Preferably away from the home or working
• The venue should be well connected with
• Hotel should have conference room .
• Visit the place before final settlement.
Selection of Co-coordinator
Should have training .
Familiar with content area.
Comfortable in front of the group.
Skill on different methods on teaching.
Able to finalize the working objectives.
Modification of workshop schedule.
Holding meeting with other resource.
Revision of the module.
Preparation three months before.
• Formulation different committees.
• Assigning the job responsibilities to different
Final selection of the participants.
• Letter to be sent to head office/deptt with
• A request for nomination
• Purposes , date, venue, working methods.
• Criteria for the selection of the participants.
• Mention full time workshop.
• Provide contact no or email.
• Set deadline for receiving application.
Determination of supply and
Computer with projector.
The administrator and finance officer should
procure the necessary articles.
Preparation of workshop material
• The workshop objectives
• Workshop schedule.
• List of resource persons( invitation letter and
confirmation of the area to be covered.)
• List of the participants (after getting
• Administrative information.
Preparation of session
• Session by session material
• learning points
• discussion points
• reading materials
Preparation six weeks before.
After receiving acceptance letter from
• Arrangement for the vehicle.
• Confirmation for the hotel.
• Inform hotel the time of arrival of the
• Share workshop time table, menu, time of
lunch and tea break.
• Arrangement of packed lunch for field visit.
• Check anticipated weather condition.
Information to the participants
• A letter to well come the participants
requesting to arrive hotel one day before .
• Instruction to preserve the travel ticket for
• Direction regarding the venue, transport
available if it is there.
• Inform regarding weather and special place to
One day before.
• Visit the venue with the team member.
• Check with the hotel participant list with room
• Check all the electric points .projected aids in
• See the sitting arrangement of the
• Additional chairs and tables to be kept in the
• The room should be fully set up.
• Verify all the modules ,administrative paper
• Prepare participants bag or folder which
• pad,pencil.pen,id tag,TA bill,module, time
table , list of the resource person, registration
form,working module, evaluation performa,
pre test questionnaire.
Review the workshop design,
Review activity session.
Arrange the room of support staff the room
should be near the conference room with
computer, printer and xerox machine.
• Arrange for the hanging poster and other
materials ,clip boards, flip chart.
• Pre opening session
Registration of the participants.
Hand over bag.
• Brief ceremonial session.
Invite dignitaries and senior staff members.
Co-ordinator should give overview of the
Invite dignitaries to deliver short lecture.
Vote of thanks
Get introduced with the participants.
Introduce yourself and other facilitator.
Review workshop goal.
Ask the participant to write their objectives
and expectation from the workshop.
• Review hotel arrangement and other
• Administer pretest.
• Divide participant in group , each group
should not be more than 6-8 participants.
• The group should be mixed group .
• The group can be changed in every session.
Selection of the moderator
• The moderator should have working
• Is comfortable with the group.
• Ability to facilitate discussion and run the
• Able to lead the group towards the task.
• Ensure that each participant participate
• Identify one group leader from each group.
Preliminary reading assignment
• Orient with the strategies of the workshop.
Based on short theory class practical activities
to be conducted to attain the goal.
Selection of teaching and learning
activities as per the unit objective
Power point presentation
Demonstration, Live object,Simulation.
• Maintain clear speed, steady pace
• Maintain eye to contact
• Use appropriate humor.Maintain time table
but flexibility should be there.
• Assignment for next dayworkshop.
Next day preview
• Short period for preview for following day
activities by the facilitator.
To discuss how day’s activities went on.
To find out solution if anything went wrong.
To discuss next day’s activities.
Winding up the workshop
• Get feed back from the participant about
scope of application.
• Ask group reports for all activities.
• Administer post test, evaluation of the
workshop from participant.
• Summary .
• Vote of thanks to participants and other s who
have been actively associated with.
• Facilitate in gettingTA&Da bill clearance
• Arrangement for photograph
• Handing over participant’s and facilitator’s list
with phone number and email address.
• Evaluation of session on daily basis.
• Final Evaluation of the entire Workshop
To know the objectives have been met.
Any need to modify or change the content \
organization of material.
Individual post test .
Workshop evaluation by the participants.
With collaboration with other support staff
Ensure that individual bills have been settled
Pack up all equipments and unused materials
Send all packed material and equipments to
• Assist the facilitator and participantin their
• Clear all the hotel bills,remuneration bills etc.
Analyzing and evaluation
after fifteen day
• Preparation of the evaluation report by the
co-ordinator based on daily evaluation, final
evaluation,as well as any additional feed back.
• Thanks given to the department from where
the participants have been sponsored.
• Thanks giving letter to all sponsorer.
Evaluation by the external
• External evaluator can visit the places where
participants are working ,to see scope of the
• Any shortcoming to resolve with the organizer.
• Submission of the report.
• Activate prior knowledge
• Motivate and engage the participants.
• To link how the information will be used today
,in future and real world.