Transcript Dr Sian Morgan, Consultant in Emergency Medicine
Wrexham Maelor Hospital Fiona Rae, Undergraduate tutor
Where are we?
Wrexham Maelor Hospital near to Wrexham town centre
Undergraduate Department in Wrexham Medical Institute
Clinical Skills & Simulation Unit Wrexham Maelor Hospital
Year 5 Placements at Wrexham Maelor Hospital •
Mr P Laing, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
• Examination of major joints, diagnosis and treatment of common orthopaedic trauma and elective condition plus a number of specialist procedures •
Drs J Harvey/S Stanaway, Consultant Physician
• To gain experience in all aspects of diabetic care •
Dr Sian Morgan, Consultant in Emergency Medicine
• Emergency Medicine – initial assessment of the emergency presentation, resuscitation and early management. Opportunity to practice practical skills. Focussed history taking and examination.
Mr David Snow, Consultant ENT Surgeon
• General ENT (OPD clinics, operating theatre sessions, audiological experience, ward rounds and ENT emergency work).
Mr A R de Bolla, Consultant Urologist
• General introduction to urology and Urological oncology
Some examples from our Rolling Programme of Group Tutorials Sepsis Circulation COPD Common Medical presentations ECG Techniques Revision of Nervous System Controlled Drugs Palliative Care and Morphine Conversion Acute Cardiac Emergencies Acid Balance GN Urological Emergencies Catheterisation tea Weekly tutorials in Emergency Medicine The ABC Approach Data Interpretation Surgical Presentations Common Medical Presentations Crash Course on being an FY1
• “I also wanted to say thanks again for a great rotation. All the staff on A&E have been really helpful and we’ve had excellent planned and unplanned teaching…I’m definitely going to recommend that other students come to Wrexham, it is by far the best organised and most useful hospital I’ve been to!” • (5 th year Manchester student)