TLTC - University of Maryland
Transcript TLTC - University of Maryland
(formerly the Center for Teaching Excellence and the
Learning Technologies division of DIT)
2301 Marie Mount Hall
Stephen Roth, PhD
Director of Outreach and Instructional Innovation
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
• SOTL is scholarly inquiry into student learning
that advances the practice of teaching by
making research findings public.
• Teaching should be a scholarly endeavor – we
should build knowledge of what works and
doesn’t, and let the world know what we’ve
• Small group discussion:
– How have you been involved with SOTL activities
at other institutions?
How to do it!
• In small groups,
discuss how SOTL
activities can be
performed in your
– What’s feasible?
SOTL for Professional Growth
• Publishing your work provides opportunities
for personal & professional advancement.
• IRB approval is likely required for most
published efforts. You will want to address this
need early in the process.
Why Use TLTC?
• Research shows:
– Faculty who work with centers have better
– Faculty who work with CTE are more
– For a small amount of time (!), you can see
strong improvements in course structure,
pedagogy, and student learning
• Instructional Consultations
• Workshops and
• Technology Training
• UGST Faculty Fellows
• Course Improvement
• Lending Library
• Teaching Resource Guide
• Course Improvement
Grants (USM; Provost’s
office; GenEd programs;
• Learning communities with
stipends (UGST Faculty
• Meet with Instructors one-on-one
• Individual or department initiated
• We can help with:
classroom observation with feedback
teaching with technology
• All materials are confidential
• Can be long- or short-term
• Coming soon…
• Online learning community
around teaching and learning.
• Especially designed to be as
inclusive as possible – all
manner of instructors are
encouraged to participate.
Stephen Roth, Ph.D.
Teaching and Learning Transformation Center
University of Maryland,
College Park, MD, USA
Email: [email protected]
UMD Teaching Resource Guide
Free & Downloadable, on our website