SOCIEDAD HONORARIA HISPÁNICA
Transcript SOCIEDAD HONORARIA HISPÁNICA
• The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (SHH) is an
honor society for high school students
enrolled in Spanish and/or Portuguese,
sponsored by the American Association of
Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
• The SHH was formally organized as the
Spanish National Honor Society in 1953. The
name was changed to Sociedad Honoraria
Hispánica in 1959. At present there are more
than 2,000 national and international chapters
of the SHH.
• The mission of the Sociedad Honoraria
Hispánica is to recognize high school
achievement in Spanish and Portuguese and
to promote interest in Hispanic and LusoBrazilian studies.
• Any secondary school student who has
maintained an honor average (3.5 GPA) in the
study of Spanish or Portuguese for a minimum
of three semesters and is in the 10th grade or
higher is eligible to be a member of the SHH.
It should be remembered that the SHH is an
honor society for those students of high
• In the spirit of our mission, each year the SHH
contributes more than $150,000 in awards to
student members of the SHH. The most
prestigious of the awards are college
scholarships given to 52 high school senior
SHH members and the Student Travel Awards
given to 24 high school junior SHH members.
• Each chapter selects a Spanish name. Our
chapter will be called the El Cid Chapter of the
Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica.
• Each chapter will have elected officers:
President, Vice President, Secretary, and
• We will have an induction ceremony TBA for
all new members each year.
• We will meet monthly on A-club days.
• The SHH publishes the journal ¡Albricias!
which contains essays, poetry, and short
articles as well as photography and artwork
created by student members of SHH. Cash
awards are presented to students for
contributions that are published.
• Once you become a senior, you’ll have the
opportunity to purchase a SHH Honor Cord to
wear at graduation for $9.
• If you’d like to purchase an “official” SHH tshirt, the price will be $9.
• For the El Cid chapter of the SHH, we will
participate in projects throughout the
– Read Spanish children’s books to elementary
students after school
– Help with Angel Tree sign-ups
– Other ideas decided upon by the chapter
• Interested in becoming an officer? Check out
the officer duties:
• Write a 1-page explanation detailing why you
think you would make a good _____.
• Anyone interested in being an officer will have
to be present at every meeting.
• The $7 for membership dues is going to be
due by Friday, February 14.
• If you’re a senior and would like an honor
cord, your total dues will be $16.
• Need help remembering? Sign up for Remind
Text: @cchs-shh to (404) 620-2650