“Kick Me” Review
• Definition: An idea or feeling that a word
invokes for a person in addition to its literal or
▫ EMOTION/FEELING OF A WORD.
• Example: A shark is ruthless.
• Is it nice to call someone a shark?
• What emotion is associated with referring to
someone as an egg head?
• Definition: The literal or primary meaning of a
word, in contrast to the feelings or ideas that the
• DICTIONARY DEFINITION
• Example: Mostly marine fishes, certain species
of which are large, voracious, and sometimes
dangerous to humans.
• What would the denotation of egg head be?
• Definition: a figure of speech in which two
unlike things are explicitly compared using like,
than or as
• Example: He is as brave as a lion.
• Can you think of a simile for an angry person?
• Definition: a metaphor can be described as a
comparison that shows how two things that are
not alike in most ways are similar in other
• Example: "I'm a night owl; Paul’s an early bird.
We're different species.”
• Can you think of a metaphor for an angry
• Definition: Extreme exaggeration
• Example: "His thundering shout could split
rocks." Or, "Yo' mama's so fat.”
• Can you think of a hyperbole for a really cold
• Definition: giving human qualities to
• Example: "The ground thirsts for rain; the
wind whispered secrets to us.“
• Can you think of a way to personify a messy
• Definition: Words that create an auditory
effect similar to the sound they represent.
• Buzz; Click; Rattle; Clatter; Squish; Grunt
• Can you think of any other examples of
• Definition: SYNONYM: A word having the
same or nearly the same meaning as another
word or other words in a language. For example,
the word responsible is the same as
• Example: ACCOUNTABLE
• Can you think of any other synonyms for
• Definition: A word that has the exact opposite
meaning of another word is its antonym. For
example, the antonym for robust
• Example: WEAK
• Can you think of any other antonyms for robust?
• Definition: true to fact; not exaggerated; actual
• Example: The sharp weapon bloodied his head.
• Definition: Figurative describes something
that is not to be interpreted literally, but that
instead uses a symbol or a likeness
• Example: “She's the head of the company.”
• Can you think of any other ways to use head in a
• Definition: Repeating a consonant sound in
close proximity to others, or beginning several
words with the same vowel sound
• Example: Five miles meandering with a mazy
• Can you think of any other examples of
• Definition: A word, place, character, or object
that means something beyond what it is on a
• Example: STOP SIGN
• Can you think of any other symbols?
• ANALOGY: A similarity between like features
of two things
• "My writing is to me, as flying is to a bird.”
• Can you think of any other analogies?
• Definition: An expression, word, or phrase that
has a figurative meaning conventionally
understood by native speakers of a particular
culture. This meaning is different from the literal
meaning of the idiom's individual elements. In
other words, idioms don't mean exactly what the
words say. They have, however, hidden meaning.
• Example: Kick the bucket
• Can you think of any other idioms?
• Definition: A hackneyed or trite phrase that
has become overused. Clichés are considered
bad writing and bad literature.
• Example: Every cloud has a silver lining.
• Can you think of any other cliches?
• Definition: The choice of a particular word as
opposed to others.
• Example: Rock formation: a stone, a boulder,
an outcropping, a pile of rocks, a cairn, a mound,
or even an "anomalous geological feature.”
• Let’s say you wanted to describe someone who is
thin. What are some word choices that have a
positive connotation? What are some word
choices that have a negative connotation?
• Definition: Saying one thing and meaning
• Example: "The cake is as soft as concrete" - the
person wants to tell that the cake is not so soft to
• Can you think of any other examples of verbal
• Definition: A joke exploiting the different
possible meanings of a word or the fact that
there are words that sound alike but have
• Example: I knew a woman who owned a taser,
man was she stunning!
• Can you think of any other puns?
• Definition: A subtle difference or distinction in
expression, meaning, response, etc.
Black-charcoal gray-dove gray-off-white-white