Transcript South Windsor Spelling Bee
South Windsor Community
Foundation Spelling Bee 2012
Time to Create a
The Goals of the South Windsor Community Foundation Spelling Bee
• Conduct a Fun Competitive Spelling Bee • Involve Parents and Children Together • Send a Student and a Parent to the Scripps National Spelling Bee • Raise Money for the South Windsor Community Foundation and Public Education Funds
Why a Spelling Bee?
• Spelling Bees Have Been Around Since the 1800’s • Spelling Bees Have Been Popular Recently – Several Movies – A Broadway Play – National Competition
How the Bee Works
Each School Oct –Nov 2010 Orchard Hill Eli Terry Pleasant Valley Wapping P.R.
Smith Timothy Edwards 2 Bees in Each Elementary Schools 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Grades 3 and 4 Combined Bee produces three winners. From Each TE Grade Second Bee includes 5 th graders and 3 winners from the (9 finalists) Grade 3 and 4 Bee. This produces 3 school winners in each Elementary School (15 Finalists) Winner goes to National Spelling Bee Finals are among the 15 Elementary and 9 Middle School Students in February 2012 District Finals Washington DC National Spelling Bee May/June 2012
Who is Eligible?
• Any South Windsor Student in Grades 3-8 • South Windsor Elementary Schools and Timothy Edwards Middle Schools • South Windsor Students in Grade 3-8 in Private, Parochial, Magnet, or Charter Schools are Eligible • Home Schooled Children are also Eligible • Age Restrictions to compete in National Bee Students Must Compete in the School they are Districted for No Exceptions!!
How Many Will Compete?
• Local school competitions in 2010-2011 had 10-30 children per grade • Total of 300 children competed last year Grade 3 4 5 6 7 8
Expected Enrollment 2011-2012
67 90 97 X X X 63 62 X X X 78 93 X X X 42 63 X X X 45 79 X X X
X X X 337 339 373
What Does it Cost?
for Students to Enter. Optional $10 Donation.
• $109 /school • $1,000 for South Windsor to Participate • $2,800 (sponsored) to send the winner to the the National Spelling Bee in Washington DC Money will be Raised Through Corporate and Personal Donations and Some Fun-
What are the Prizes
• A Bee-Yootiful Trophy for 1 st , 2 nd , and 3 rd Winners in Each School • Plaques for 3 Finalists • An All Expense Paid Trip to the National Spelling Bee in June 2012 in Washington DC for the winner and one parent/guardian
• $15 Official Spelling Bee T-Shirt • $10 Official Plush Spelling Bee • $2/ea $10/6-pack Spelling Bee B-u-z-z Soda • $ 10 ea. 3/ $25 Family Sponsored Words Before a randomly chosen word is read, the judge will say: The next word is sponsored by the Jones Family.
• June 2011 – Planned Press Releases – Meeting with Schools and PTO’s – Soliciting Corporate Sponsors • June 2011 – August 2011 – Attend Summer Events with Booth for Publicity • September 2011 – Publicity and Registration • October 2011 Dinner and a Practice Bee • October - November 2011 School Competitions • February or March 2012 – Finals • May-June 2012 – National Spelling Bee
– Register Words
How Do Competitors
• Register On-Line
– Purchase T-Shirt, Spelling Bee B-u-z-z Soda, Family Sponsored – Download Samples Word List • Register through Brochure
How We Will Publicize the Bee
• Tents at Major South Windsor Events, Concerts , Public Events, Sports • Signs, Banners, Posters, Sponsors • Schools - Backpack Express Open House, Gatherings • E-mailings, Web Site, Facebook
How Can You Help ?
• We Need Volunteers / Teams for Each Competition – Registration, Line Control, Readers, Judges • Help with Planned Special Events – Dinner and a Practice Bee • Publicity to Parents and Children • Collecting Fun-Raising Money and Distributing Incentive Prizes
24/7 O n-line Information • South Windsor Community Foundation www.swfoundation.org
• South Windsor Public Education Fund Liza Love (860) 289-8502 [email protected]