Transcript Challenging Situations for Teachers
Legal, Industrial Relations Section & Equality Section [LIRE] Anne McElduff L.L.B., B.L.
• Anne McElduff ( AGS) • Deirdre O’Connor ( Senior Official) • Audrey Cullen AO • Niamh Cooper EO • Colette Cassidy CO • Fergal Mawe CO • Andrew Bowen/ Hazel O’Connor ( Interns)
LIRE POLICY AREAS
• Teaching Council – Registration – Droichead – Fitness to Teach • Bullying • Pluralism and Patronage • School Admissions, School Records • Child Protection • Inspectors • Complaints against Teachers • Implementation of Legislation • Equality
• Parental Complaints Procedure • Working Together (Staff Relations/ Bullying/ Grievance) • Appointments (Appendix D of Constitution of Boards and Rules of Procedure 2011) • Child Protection 2011- DES Circular 65/2001 • Disciplinary Procedures under Section 24.3 of the Ed. Act- Circular 60/2009
LIRE Queries 2008-2013
• 38% of Queries from PT/DP • Rota in the section • Response time in line with INTO service plan – Response on the day/ within 24 hours • Queries on serious matters prioritised e.g child protection, disciplinary matters
LIRE Query Topics
• Child Protection • Data Protection /Freedom of Information • Employment Contracts • Appointment Procedures • Pupil Enrolment • Equality • Family Law • Health and Safety • Staff Relations
LIRE Query Topics
• NEWB/Reporting Student Absences • Personal Injury • Boards of Management (Rules & Con) • Pupil Behaviour and Discipline • Inspection • Parental Complaints/ Disciplinary procedures • Teaching Council General
• How do I respond to a parental complaint?
• Are parents entitled to copy of my diary notes of meetings/conversations with them?
• Must I comply with all requests from my Principal?
• There is a clause in my contract which says the Board of Management can vary my duties and responsibilities – is that correct?
• Am I now be entitled to a Contract of Indefinite Duration (CID) after 3 years?
• Can the Teaching Council suspend me if there is a case against me?
• How can I deal with a persistent complaint of cyber bullying in class?
Cases 2013- All members- 2013
RATIO OF CASES TEACHERS TO PRINCIPALS 35% Teacher Principal 65%
INTO Customer Service Charter
• Queries dealt with in courteous, friendly and confidential manner • Accurate, reliable info and advice • Priority for urgent queries • Callback on the day/ day following • 3 days, no response, text/ voicemail advising of this • Consultations as required • Complaints to GS Intouch, Jan/ Feb 2013
Complaints Procedure INTO Website
Categories of Law
Education Law • Employment Law • Equality Law • Data/Information Law • Criminal Law/Civil Law