SS2 Home Mgt
SS2 Home Mgt
MAINTENANCE AND CARE OF HOME
• CLEANING EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
• Equipment and materials for house hold
maintenance are used for removing dust and
dirt from various articles and surface in home.
• In order to clean a house, you need cleaning
equipment like carpet sweeper, vacuum
cleaner and floor polisher. Likewise cleaning
tools like brooms, brushes, dusters, mops dust
pan etc, would be useful.
CLEANING AGENTS AND MATERIALS.
Classes of cleaning agents
1. Solvents: e.g. water, grease solvents, like
paraffin, turpentine, methylated spirits etc.
are used to remove dirt by liquefying it and
holding it in suspension
2. Detergents: synthetic detergent and soap for
removal of grease and dirt.
3. Abrasive cleaners: e.g. vim, sand paper,
brasso for scouring bath, tubs, pots, pans etc.
4. Alkaline cleaner’s e.g. borax, it reduces the
amount of rubbing needed for cleaning.
5. Waxes e.g. cream wax, liquid wax etc. for
cleaning wooden surfaces
6. Acidic cleaners e.g. vinegar, lemon or lime
juice can remove tarnish from copper
7. Polishes are applied to surfaces such as wood
to improve appearance
HOMEMADE CLEANING AGENTS
1. Fine sand: this can be used for cleaning pots
2. Edo powder: this is yellow in colour. It can be
used for cleaning ornaments, such as copper,
gold and brass.
3. Grounded charcoal: this can be used for
cleaning smooth metal surfaces
4. Paw-paw leaves: fresh paw-paw leaves is
used for cleaning dirty galvanized pail and
blackened aluminum pans and pots
5. Local sand- paper leaves[ Asisa, Ipin leaves].
They can be used as abrasives for cleaning
plain wood surface, blackened pot etc.
6. Home- made “VIM” or scouring powder: it is
used for cleaning blackened pots
• Material needed
i. Egg shell
ii. Broken china ware[ if available]
iii. Detergent powder
iv. Dry the egg shells
v. Grind the shells and pieces of china ware
into very fine powder
vi. Sift the mixture to ensure a smooth powder
vii. Mix the powder thoroughly with the
viii.Store in a dry container with a good lid
7. Whitening: it is made by mixing fine sand
with synthetic detergent or soap powder. It is
useful for scouring pots and pans
• Prepare a homemade “vim” or scouring
powder and pour it in well fitting lid.